Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi guys, Now i am using opensuse 12.2, when i tried to install virtual box it was installed and i created a new virtual hard disk. when i try to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Guntur, Andhra pradesh, India, Asia, Earth, Solar system

Cool how toinstall virtual box

hi guys,
    Now i am using opensuse 12.2, when i tried to install virtual box it was installed and i created a new virtual hard disk.
    when i try to install os and i started to vhd it's showing an error that its kernel module is not matching with present version and says to execute /etc/init.d/vboxdrv.
    please help me frnds i am not able to solve it
    thank you.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You created a new VHD without installing the OS first? These are the steps to install a new OS in VBox:

1. Click on the New icon, give your OS a name, specify the type, and then the version. The name is for your use. The type is the OS type, such as "Microsoft Windows", Linux, Solaris, Other... The version is the specific OS version (Windows XP, Ubuntu Linux - 32bit or 64bit), etc.
    2. Configure the VM for the amount of RAM, how big and type of virtual hard drive, number of processor cores, etc.

Yes, you can install VBox using a pre-existing virtual HD, but this is not recommended unless you REALLY know what you are doing.

So, without knowning better what you did to create your virtual HD, from the error you are getting you are trying to install the VHD with an incompatible OS.

FWIW, I have been using virtual box on both Windows and Linux for 6 years, and run Windows, Linux, Solaris, QNX, and DOS operating systems, with nary a problem...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

yes i had done what you said, but its not my problem i have given below screenshots of error raised please see below.snapshot1.jpg

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, the error seems pretty clear to me - something was not installed correctly, or you are running a version of VBox that is not in sync with the kernel modules it originally created and installed. How exactly did you install it, and have you updated it since?

Thank you, just i had downloaded .rpm from virtualbox website and installed. But i didn't updated any thing and showing to execute that path(/etc/init.d/vboxdrv), when i executed it shows to install some repositories but they are installing and not showing any error. I had also tried using konsole but it is not working.

I have the same problem. Im trying to create a virtualization of x86- android. I'm using Ubuntu and installed VirtualBox from the software center. I'm getting this message when I try to start it:

"kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary."

I'm a complete beginner at Linux and don't know what to do at all at here, I tried running "sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup" in the terminal but nothing happens.

Quote Originally Posted by satyasaran View Post
    Thank you, just i had downloaded .rpm from virtualbox website and installed. But i didn't updated any thing and showing to execute that path(/etc/init.d/vboxdrv), when i executed it shows to install some repositories but they are installing and not showing any error. I had also tried using konsole but it is not working.
    I think the rpm is for Red Hat derived systems, which Suse is not. I think you may need to install from source, which you can do since VBox is open source. Having gone back to the VBox download page, I see that they have 32-bit and 64-bit versions for Suse (sles) 10 and 11. Which precise version did you install, and how did you install it?