Find the answer to your Linux question:
My daughter has sent me a Jacqui Lawson Advent Calendar as a gift. In order to download and run, it needs Adobe Air and, of course, Adobe have withdrawn the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need Adobe Air to run an Application

My daughter has sent me a Jacqui Lawson Advent Calendar as a gift. In order to download and run, it needs Adobe Air and, of course, Adobe have withdrawn the Linux version of Air.

I have downloaded an old version of Air (v2.6, the last to support Linux) to see if that will work but have a problem installing it. The installer comes as a binary with a *.bin suffix and will run on issuing the command:

Code:
    $ ./AdobeAIRInstaller.bin
    Unfortunately the installation fails with the message

Code:
    /tmp/air.BCChPV/setup: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    I looked for the library named and got the following:

Code:
    $ locate libgtk-x11-2.0.so
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.2400.10
    So it looks like the necessary library is there but not where the installer expects it.

My OS is Linux Mint 13

I have contacted Jacqui Lawson but the initial response was the usual generic "Have you checked the FAQs" which suggests that my request for help has not been read or at least not properly read.

My daughter gave me one last year and it worked fine but this was before Adobe withdrew Air.

Any suggestions?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tootler View Post
    Any suggestions?
    Hello, Tootler!

Some of the more recent versions of Adobe Air appear to work fine when run under Wine on top of Linux, or at least they do according to the Wine Apps Database.

WineHQ - Adobe Air
    oz