Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'll show you guys a screenshot of what the problem is: My problem is, as you can see, that there's no text where I'd expect it to, such as on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Just a minor problem that I have no idea where comes from

I'll show you guys a screenshot of what the problem is:

My problem is, as you can see, that there's no text where I'd expect it to, such as on the buttons and I guess that is a license agreement or something, so there'd be text in the box also. This problem is not exclusive to GIMP, I've had it with other programs too, so I guess it's one of the components of GIMP that is messed up, a component that other programs also use.

Running it in a console throws no error messages. I run the distro called "Xandros Open Circulation 2", a debian Linux with a kernel v2.4.

I hope that maybe someone has had this problem before, and knows how to solve it, because I'm stumped. Thank you in advance.

Linux Newbie
    If it is in other programs also it would seem you have a problem with some pkg. Have you updated yet? I know it sound simple and dumb but some times updates fix a lot of problems had.

Just Joined!
    I just gave up on that system and switched distro and now there's no such problems with GIMP or any other program, so I guess this question is "unsolvable" now. Thanks for trying, anyway. I don't really dare update my packages. I have tried in several reinstalls to do a "apt-get update, apt-get upgrade", and I always lose my ethernet (and thus internet) connection, my sound system stops working, and my KDE ends up looking horrible. So.. no, I hadn't updated everything there. It was vanilla.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    I know no need to reply here but... nice!

Just Joined!
    From the WTF dept.... switch to debian sarge. The install is easy. Same with Suse, FC and Mandrake. The porblem with Xandros is that it's repository is not open from what I can gather so it's hard to offer help. Plus most power users don't use xandros. My recommendation would be to switch to a more Free distro that doesn't have issues (debain) and that more people use (like the others).

Finally... Does Xandros for some forums out there some where.

Linux Enthusiast
    Gentoo is reallly nice you want high customization and speed, and are willing to wait for the long install.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Linux Engineer
    gentoo generally doesn't take more that 3 hours in a normal setup...except if you are trying to install it on an old machine ...it will take some time (hours more) to compile kde and kernel first and the programs then with portage.an internet connection is required if you choose stage 1 installation.
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    Maybe I'll try Gentoo the next time I run into trouble. I chose SimplyMEPIS 2004 (Debian as well) this time, and so far it works like a charm, so I'll stick with it. It must be coincidence, but I've only had my hands on debian systems yet. It's possible that it may influence me when I make my next choice as well. I've started to like debian's package update system a lot, for instance. Highly convenient method of installing new programs without the need to do much more than typing a command and its name. Nice for a beginner such as myself. Of course, these features may also be present in other kinds of Linuxes. I wouldn't know, though, since, like I said, debian has been my path so far.

it will take some time (hours more) to compile kde and kernel first and the programs then with portage
    Unless that is something that happens automatically or in some guided manner, it's something that scares me off still. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a computer illiterate, but I'm new to this whole Linux thing. So far I love it, and of course I'd like to learn more advanced stuff, but right now, I simply don't know the advanced stuff, and so I stick with easy solutions. SimplyMEPIS was a breeze to install, and is a breeze to use. I'll keep it like that for a while, just to get to know things. I don't think I'll ever give up KDE for instance, just because it's "tougher" to have a text-only system. :P (That's a joke, I don't think most people would prefer text to GUI when it comes to effectivity and usefulness)