Find the answer to your Linux question:
Originally I tried using Brasero but it didn't work the way I wanted it to. This is the subject of another thread here . Unable to get what I wanted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Cannot use or configure X-CD-roast in Ubuntu 12.04-LTS

Originally I tried using Brasero but it didn't work the way I wanted it to. This is the subject of another thread here.

Unable to get what I wanted from Brasero, I downloaded an application I used to use years ago - X-CD-ROAST - in the hope that I could achieve what I wanted (i.e. burn some MP3s onto a CD). Unfortunately I didn't get very far past installing the software.

The first time I called it up through the applications menu I got the following message:
    WARNING: No root configuration file found or not readable. The superuser must start and configure X-CD-roast first, before others can use it.
    It is so long ago that I used it, that I cannot remember exactly what i did back then. Anyhow, I started a terminal, logged in as root and tried starting X-CD-roast. Well, let's be accurate here: I tried 3 different things:
    Code:
    > gksu xcdroast
    Code:
    > gksudo xcdroast
    Code:
    > su
    > <my root password>
    > xcdroast
    The results were slightly different but all ended with the same error:
    ** (xcdroast:7858 ) : WARNING ** : The connection is closed
    ** (xcdroast:7858 ) : WARNING ** : Failed to access cdrecord. Please check the permissions and ownership of /usr/bin/cdrecord
    Checking the permissions showed:
    1. cdrecord is really a link to another executable: wodim
    2. Octal permissions for wodim were originally 40755 (that's equivalent to rwxr-xr-x)
    2. Changing the octal permissions to 40777 (equiv. rwxrwxrwx) achieved nothing

I checked the man pages but found nothing helpful there. It allows you to specify where the config file is to be found but nothing about how to create one.

Can anyone help? I'd really like to get my system running the way it was before my switch to 12.04-LTS. At the moment the problems are coming along faster than I can fix them.

Any info is welcome.

Achim

oz
    forum.guy
    Wodim has proven problematic for many users, so you might try removing cdrkit (the package containing wodim) and installing cdrtools (the package containing the real cdrecord) instead. If it isn't available in your repos, you can find the source for it here:

Cdrtools (Cdrecord) release information
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thankyou oz,

I'll see if I can do what you suggest. As you surmised, the repositories for Ubuntu's Synaptic Package Manager do not contain the cdrtools package. I checked the site you mentioned and read the (somewhat out of date) discussion. It all seems somewhat esoteric to me but it does explain why X-CD-roast doesn't work under Ubuntu Linux.

If I choose to install the original cdrtools, will that cause problems with other apps? There are a lot of programs involved, cdda2wav, cdrecord, readcd, mkisofs, and so on. These are undoubtedly used by other apps. How can I make sure everything still works correctly? Or is it a matter of trial and error? Obviously I will need to control updates manually as well. This all seems a shame, because apt and synaptic made keeping up to date so simple. (sigh)

Thanks again for the info.
    Achim

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    I don't run Ubuntu so don't know much about the internals involved with it, and in fact, I only install cdrtools and dvd+rw-tools on my boxes then do all burning by command line, but you can check the following threads for the details on removing cdrkit and replacing it with cdrtools under Ubuntu:

[ubuntu] [SOLVED] Can't install and use mkisofs, cdrecord instead of genisoimage and wodim! - Ubuntu Forums

[SOLVED] Why can't I install and use mkisofs, cdrecord instead of genisoimage and wod - Ubuntu Forums

https://blog.redhoundsoftware.com/?p=75

Personally, I'd like to see all distros dump cdrkit outright and return to cdrtools.
    oz