Find the answer to your Linux question:
What I want to do is.. extract an image/bin/whatever format it's in... I want the raw data of my BIOS... and I want a Linux/Ubuntu command in order to do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to extract BIOS..?

What I want to do is.. extract an image/bin/whatever format it's in... I want the raw data of my BIOS... and I want a Linux/Ubuntu command in order to do it.

I have tried using Flashrom, but it doesn't support my BIOS...

Flashrom has a nice command

flashrom --read filenamehere.bin

But again... it doesn't support my BIOS... so... does anyone know any command/program I can use... in order to extract a complete copy of my BIOS... it doesn't even matter to me which format it's in... I just want the raw data... in its entirety. Thanks

Just Joined!
    It's quite a while since I did that but I recall using the bios update software of the bios manufacturer which I downloaded and used from a usb to update the bios, but with that software was an option to save the existing bios data to a file which I was able to do ... though I never did anything with the saved data.

I've been looking into updating the BIOS on my HP laptop and from everything I've read you have to update under Windows, you can't do it anymore under Linux. I know that kind of sucks but it is what it is. You can use a Windows 7 Recovery disk to boot to in order to use a USB with the updated BIOS on it and install it from there but it's kind of tricky. Do a Startpage search and you'll find the page that I did on the Ubuntu help pages that'll give you more info.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Usually BIOS updates require some sort of Windows/DOS boot device to work. You can install the update software on a CD with FreeDOS, and that will usually work (always in my experience).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!