Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Gimp error while ising gap, cannot view video files

Hi everyone

(I am mainly using my Ubuntu linux chromebook c7 or my windows 7 desktop)

I am trying to make some animated gif's from video files. I made a few but now everytime I try making them I get a "Execution error for procedure 'gimp-file-load': Unknown file type" error window. It does this on every type of movie file I have tried.

It does this on my windows seven computer, and my linux computers.

I was just converting the videos online on gifninja but the quality is pretty bad.

I am recording the videos on my windows computer with camstudio so the default is wmv. But on my Ubuntu linux chromebook I have Arista to convert the videos. I have tried mkv, m4v, avi, mp4, webm, mpg, flv, wmv
    Any ideas?

Linux Enthusiast
    This command converts any file readable by mplayer to individual jpegs:
    Code:
    mplayer -quiet -osdlevel 0 -vo jpeg:progressive,quality=100 -noframedrop -frames 99999 -ao null -vf scale  "${INFILE}"
    Then you could load them in gimp, layer, and make a gif, I believe. Haven't tried making a gif in years, but it should work.

Quote Originally Posted by Miven View Post
    This command converts any file readable by mplayer to individual jpegs:
    Code:
    mplayer -quiet -osdlevel 0 -vo jpeg:progressive,quality=100 -noframedrop -frames 99999 -ao null -vf scale  "${INFILE}"
    Then you could load them in gimp, layer, and make a gif, I believe. Haven't tried making a gif in years, but it should work.
    When I run that command in the terminal it gives me this:
    Code:
    jreidsma@ChrUbuntu:~$ mplayer -quiet -osdlevel 0 -vo jpeg:progressive,quality=100 -noframedrop -frames 99999 -ao null -vf scale  "${INFILE}"
    MPlayer svn r34540 (Ubuntu), built with gcc-4.6 (C) 2000-2012 MPlayer Team
    mplayer: could not connect to socket
    mplayer: No such file or directory
    Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing .
    File not found: ''
    Failed to open .

Exiting... (End of file)
    jreidsma@ChrUbuntu:~$

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by jreidsma View Post
    When I run that command in the terminal it gives me this:
    Code:
    jreidsma@ChrUbuntu:~$ mplayer -quiet -osdlevel 0 -vo jpeg:progressive,quality=100 -noframedrop -frames 99999 -ao null -vf scale  "${INFILE}"
    MPlayer svn r34540 (Ubuntu), built with gcc-4.6 (C) 2000-2012 MPlayer Team
    mplayer: could not connect to socket
    mplayer: No such file or directory
    Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing .
    File not found: ''
    Failed to open .

Exiting... (End of file)
    jreidsma@ChrUbuntu:~$
    ...it's been a while so presumably you've figured out that ${INFILE} needs to be exchanged with the name of a video file you want to split into frames(?)

I'd browse to the directory I wanted all the frames to end up in and then execute against the full path of the file and it should work fine:

Code:
    mkdir ~/frames
    Code:
    cd ~/frames
    Code:
    mplayer -quiet -osdlevel 0 -vo jpeg:progressive,quality=100 -noframedrop -frames 99999 -ao null -vf scale  "/path/to/some/file.mp4"