Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I have just started playing with Ubuntu Server. So far I have discovered Nano and Vi. What other editors are avaliable? Are there any with coloured text for coding ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux text editors

So I have just started playing with Ubuntu Server. So far I have discovered Nano and Vi. What other editors are avaliable? Are there any with coloured text for coding syntax?

There might be a few more for you to play around with.
    List of text editors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Are there any with coloured text for coding syntax?
    For that, I like vim. All the same commands of vi, with a few improvements.
    You should be able to install it with sudo apt-get install vim.

On that note, I typically don't use Gnome or KDE. So I don't use their graphical editors. But I find Mousepad to be quite easy to use. If you're familiar with Windows Notepad, you'll be fine with Mousepad.

BTW, I moved your question to the Applications section. You may get more responses here.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by it_tech81 View Post
    So I have just started playing with Ubuntu Server. So far I have discovered Nano and Vi. What other editors are avaliable? Are there any with coloured text for coding syntax?
    If you are running Gnome, you'll find Gedit to be a nice editor. Kwrite and Kate are included with KDE.

I run minimal systems and personally like medit and scite for text editors.

Edit: oops, just noticed you said "server", so if no xserver is being used, then vim as recommended by jayd512 should be good. You can also take a look at emacs to see if it will meet your needs.
    oz

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

There are several tables in the page Comparison of text editors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that show editor support for GNU/Linux (about 30), syntax highlighting, and text shell integration, among many other features.

Using tools like apt-cache, such as:
    Code:
    apt-cache search editor|grep -i editor| sort| less
    and then, for example:
    Code:
    apt-cache show dav-text
    allows you to look at editors that may have not have been included in the wikipedia article:
    Code:
    A minimalist ncurses-based text editor
     Dav (Dav Ain't Vi) is meant to provide a stable text editor that is efficient
     in both memory and processor usage. It is simple to use, making it ideal for
     novice users. It is licensed under the GPL and is still
     in development.
    The system I used for that was:
    Code:
    OS, ker|rel, machine: Linux, 3.0.0-13-generic, x86_64
    Distribution        : Ubuntu 11.10 (oneiric on Debian wheezy/sid)
    See appropriate man pages for details.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl
    Last edited by drl; 01-13-2013 at 10:42 AM.
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Just Joined!
    Hey thanks for the replies. Im going to have a look at all this info. Am preferring Ubuntu Server to WIndows for what Im using it for. Its just a totaly different world.

I use emacs. It works great for me. It has the color codes so it makes scripting easier for me.