Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have created a AF_INET6 family of socket. In that after setting the socket option IPV6_V6ONLY , I am able to receive and send IPV4/IPV6, unicast packets . However it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to use same socket for ipv4 and ipv6 multicast packet

I have created a AF_INET6 family of socket. In that after setting the socket option IPV6_V6ONLY , I am able to receive and send IPV4/IPV6, unicast packets . However it is not receiving the ipv4 multicast packets, though it is able to receive ipv6 multicast packets.

so can a same socket be used for multicast application to reeive and send ipv4/ipv6 multicast packets ?

If yes Can somebody tell the confgurations required ?

I am using IP_DROP_MEMBERSHIP/IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP, IP_MULTICAST_LOOP, IP_MULTICAST_IF, for ipv4 address
    and
    IPV6_DROP_MEMBERSHIP/IPV6_ADD_MEMBERSHIP, IPV6_MULTICAST_LOOP, IPV6_MULTICAST_IF for ipv6 addresses.

For more information, the send is working fine for ipv4 and ipv6 multicast packets both . I can see the packets in wireshark snoiffer, But it is not able to recieve the ipv4 multicast packet.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What happens if you don't set the IPV6_V6ONLY option? From what I am reading, this will disable the socket from handling IPV4 events.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!