Find the answer to your Linux question:
Sir, Recently I have installed opensuse12.2X86-64 on AMD FX 4100 machine. Then I have downloaded vmplayer from vmware site and followed the instructions specified in opensuse site related to vmplayer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

unable to intall vmplayer( versions 4,5 ) or vmware worktation9

Sir,

Recently I have installed opensuse12.2X86-64 on AMD FX 4100 machine. Then I have downloaded vmplayer from vmware site and followed the instructions specified in opensuse site related to vmplayer installation. installation successfull message appeared. When I have choosen the icon vmplayer no window is opening so I issued the command vmplayer in terminal. I am getting errors on terminal. I have tried vmplayer version4 also, the same is repeating.

After that I have downloaded and installed vmware workstation 9 again "intallation successfull" message appeared but unable to launch workstation.

When I issue the command vmware or vmplayer in terminal I am getting the following error common to both.

linux-bb90:~ # vmware
    Logging to /tmp/vmware-root/vmware-modconfig-10771.log
    filename: /lib/modules/3.4.11-2.16-desktop/misc/vmmon.ko
    supported: external
    license: GPL v2
    description: VMware Virtual Machine Monitor.
    author: VMware, Inc.
    srcversion: 40B49F99361D584BCF72CC2
    depends:
    vermagic: 3.4.11-2.16-desktop SMP preempt mod_unload modversions
    process 10766: Attempt to remove filter function 0x7f7825086080 user data 0x7f783adb9470, but no such filter has been added
    D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace
    Aborted
    linux-bb90:~ #

I am submitting log file created during vmware workstation installation.

What is the root cause of the problem like which packages need to be installed,not to be installed. Which services need to be started and which services not to be started etc.

Note that I have installed all the packages available from cdrom repository( completely ).

Please help me to successfully run either vmware workstation or vmplayer.

Regards,
    Rupesh.
    Attached Files Attached Files

You may find that VMWare themselves can answer this better than we can, but here are a few suggestions that could help. I've run VMWare previously on Fedora (but now I've moved on to the free version of Oracle virtualbox).

Check that you did the install with root privileges.

There is a perl script (vmware-config.pl, I think) that has to be run to enable the vmware services to work with your system. Make sure you've run this script.

Run the vmware package as a regular user - you _might_ have to insert your user into any VMWare permissions group (see /etc/groups).
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/