Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I had a question about decoding what I'm pretty sure are VC-1 streams as they're in WMV containers. The problem is, if I try to track (ie. move the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

VC-1/WMV Decoding Codecs / Apps

Hey,

I had a question about decoding what I'm pretty sure are VC-1 streams as they're in WMV containers.

The problem is, if I try to track (ie. move the progress cursor) during playback with VLC or Kaffeine, I get major digitizing, just for like 5 seconds, then it seems to straighten out.

Totem, however, does not suffer from this problem.

It appears to happen with all WMV files I've tried it with, I have not seen the issue on any non-WMV files. This makes me assume it's a VC-1 decoder issue. Furthermore, the files are unfortunately proprietary information and an NDA disallows me to post them, though if somebody can link me to one 'allowed downloadable source' I'd be more than happy to try it and see if the issue repeats itself..

Is there any particular reason for why some apps seem to have issues with the playback? Is it just something intrinsic to the way the app is trying to have the stream decoded, or do these apps use different codecs, or anything like that?

*bit confused*

TIA.

PS: I should list my SW specs but I'm not where my computer is, so I can only say for sure that it's a fully updated Ubuntu 12.10 x64 with the standard proprietary codecs installed from the repos.
    Last edited by Syndacate; 02-16-2013 at 04:06 AM.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What video hardware ARE you running? Have you tried more current drivers downloaded from the video hardware manufacturer (nVidia or AMD)? And I assume you meant Ubuntu 12.10 and not 2.10?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    What video hardware ARE you running? Have you tried more current drivers downloaded from the video hardware manufacturer (nVidia or AMD)? And I assume you meant Ubuntu 12.10 and not 2.10?
    Bahaha, NO, I'M LIVING IN THE STONE AGE, DAMMIT!

Yeah, I meant 12.10, edited OP.

Running a GTX 280 with the Nvidia proprietary drivers (version 310.14). I have not tried changing the drivers, I always used totem and never had a problem....then I finally couldn't deal with it anymore because there was a 4 hour training I had to seek through (yeah, tell me about it) and the seek cursor in totem is stupid hard to click because the seek bar is so damn small....lol, I'd settle this problem with a fix for that if it meant I didn't have to mod the UI and recompile it. Maybe I'll submit a feature request.

Though that segway aside, I used Kaffeine, as it always worked for me in the past, and it was showing the seek problem described above under VC-1 decoding, but nothing else....then I was like "well if all else fails, VLC always works" - but it did the same damn thing .

I'm pretty sure Nvidia came out with newer drivers, I'll upgrade and see if I have any luck, I'll be back.

Sorry about the lack of info, was at work when I thought to make this thread :-X.

Thanks!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The latest I found on nVidia's site yesterday was 310.32, so maybe it has been fixed. If this only happens with the VC-1 decoding though, and on all the media viewers show the same effect, then it may be a problem with the vc-1 decoding library and not the video hardware and associated drivers.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    The latest I found on nVidia's site yesterday was 310.32, so maybe it has been fixed. If this only happens with the VC-1 decoding though, and on all the media viewers show the same effect, then it may be a problem with the vc-1 decoding library and not the video hardware and associated drivers.
    No, that's what I was saying in my OP as well as my response. Only Kaffeine and VLC show the issue. Totem works fine. I would love to use totem but as I said, I have to try and finish this useless 4 hour video (which unfortunately requires seeking) but the seek line is so thin it's damn-near impossible to click- it's driving me insane. So it's definitely in the Application, IMO, unless Totem is simply better at dealing with failure.

That's why in my OP I was wondering if they accessed different libs to get to the driver or anything.