Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have finally got my Linux (Debian) on line. I have been using apt-get to put some types of packages on the machine. However these were lines I copied from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

apt-get package_name proper name of package?

I have finally got my Linux (Debian) on line. I have been using apt-get to put some types of packages on the machine. However these were lines I copied from or were given to me.

I am a Ham Radio operator and found a few programs that I'd like to load and are in a package I believe is called 'hamradio' . When I attempt

Code:
    apt-get install hamradio
    It says it cannot find the package. How do I find the package name and use it to fetch the proper package. I attempted to read the docs but they seem to think you know the package and I thought I did, but the results are not what was expected.

Any ideas?

I found a specif piece of software called 'predict' that is used to track satellites, but it's in a 'hamradio' package (I found in Debian). Anyway I've tried both ways and still can't seem to get it. Is there a way to get aptitude to do this from the GUI?

Thanks

Jack

Linux Guru
    For general searching, you can use:

Code:
    apt-cache search ham
    You can filter that further with something like grep:

Code:
    apt-cache search ham | grep radio
    But predict is its own install (this is using the default Ubuntu 12.04 repos.)

Code:
    predict - Satellite Tracking Program with Optional Voice Output
    predict-gsat - Graphical Satellite Tracking Client Program

Code:
    $ apt-cache search hamradio
    ax25-tools - tools for AX.25 interface configuration
    ax25-xtools - tools for AX.25 interface configuration -- X11-based
    cqrlog - Advanced logging program for hamradio operators
    fldigi - digital modem program for hamradio operators
    gcb - Utility to calculate long and short path to a location
    hamradiomenus - hamradio menus for GNOME and KDE
    libax25 - ax25 library for hamradio applications
    qsstv - Qt-based slow-scan TV and fax
    tucnak2 - VHF/UHF/SHF Hamradio contest log version 2
    xlog - GTK+ Logging program for Hamradio Operators
    xlog-data - data for xlog, a GTK+ Logging program for Hamradio Operators
    Debian -- Software Packages in "wheezy", Subsection hamradio

Hope that helps.

OOps, beat out by HRO
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

If you like the GUI synaptic is a good tool for searching for and managing stuff. I've picked up a couple of package management tricks here lately that are actually a lot easier in synaptic than they are in the terminal.

Adding to what has been said, you can also utilize Google for these searches.
    You can try searching for debian ham radio, amongst other packages.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Thanks, I tried that same search and got nothing? Is it just wheezy or something. I wonder how I'm supposed to get these packages if they don't show up with the standard search stuff or maybe I just don't understand this. Thanks, I'll keep looking and see what I can do. One of the respondents stated that I might use Google, but how do I know if it's a separate package (as one stated) or what?

If it's a package shouldn't it show up with apt-get?

Thanks to all...

Jack

I tried to search for synaptic and it said that the package is set to manual install? What does that mean? Do I have to download the package and stick it in that way? When I search within aptitude, it only finds drivers for touch pads and such...

Jack

Have you opened a terminal since you first installed wheezy and issued the command

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Thanks, I tried that same search and got nothing? Is it just wheezy or something. I wonder how I'm supposed to get these packages if they don't show up with the standard search stuff or maybe I just don't understand this
    That is why I mentioned the above statement.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Yes, actually I have. I am doing an assist with the Freedom box people, which is using a lot of wheezy code, that I was unaware. So I'm not really using wheezy, mine is the 6.0.6 release and I'm waiting for wheezy to become released as it's hoped to support one of the chipsets I have in a wifi device. I have had no luck with some of these packages as far as being able to use apt-get to install them.

I've resolved to just going to debian site, finding the package, downloading it as a .deb file then right clicking on it and using the suppled installer. What a pain. If it's under hamradio which is what it looks to be, why can't the apt-get find it? I can download the package, but can't apt-get it? How curious, and frustrating....

Thanks..

P.S. I will give this a couple days then close it as it appears there is no simple fix.

Jack

Just Joined!
    The rules of this forum won't let me give you a url until I have made 15 posts or more, so I'll specify it in a different way.

Try the following link and check out the various search and browse options:

www dot debian dot org slash distrib slash packages