Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have Debian and I have a drive that came off my Mac OS X. 10.5, I think anyway the disk on that machine has all my CD's that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

file system is 'read only', how do you change that

Hi, I have Debian and I have a drive that came off my Mac OS X. 10.5, I think anyway the disk on that machine has all my CD's that I put in itunes. I would like to recover this music as we had a flood and lost most of the CD's, so it's worth a little digging to recover them.

This drive is connected along with the other drives via the SATA interface within the computer. It is not plugged into some type of USB or other connection, so it's just like the rest of the drives on this computer.

When I try to go to the directory, it says I'm not the owner, so can't access the directory. If I go via an su terminal window and attempt a chmod, it says the file system is in 'read only' mode.

How to you change this? I understood that this (LInux) has the ability to read/write the Apple file system, so why is it mounted read only?

What is a 'special device'? Where in the docs do you find this information?

I tried
    Code:
    #chmod -v a=+rw jkwilborn
    chmod: changing permissions of `jkwilborn': Read-only file system
    failed to change mode of `jkwilborn' to 0666 (rw-rw-rw-)
    #
    I then attempted
    Code:
    #mount -ov remount,rw '/media/Macintosh HD'
    mount: special device remount,rw does not exist
    #
    I'm not sure how to deal with a 'special device' as specified by the mount command.

Thanks to all for their assistance, without you people Linux would be much more difficult, you all deserve a 'pat on the back'!

Jack
    Last edited by jkwilborn; 02-20-2013 at 11:07 AM. Reason: more information

Try using the follwoing command. Be sure you have hfsplus installed.
    Code:
    mount -t hfsplus <blah blah>

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Quote Originally Posted by jkwilborn View Post
    I then attempted
    Code:
    #mount -ov remount,rw '/media/Macintosh HD'
    mount: special device remount,rw does not exist
    #
    I'm not sure how to deal with a 'special device' as specified by the mount command.
    Jack
    That's a syntax error, try this:
    Code:
    # mount -vo remount,rw '/media/Macintosh HD'

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Merkur32123, thanks for the suggestions. They still give me errors and report a 'special device'. I even tried to edit the fstab file and did not get anywhere useful. I finally just went over to the file system and did a properties and saw that my name and id number. Created that name and id number on a new user and was able to access the information that I needed, which is about 15 gig of CD's that we lost in a flood. So I'm good, but still confused. I'll close this a solved although I would still like to figure out what's up.

Thanks for all of your help, if you are good at this, maybe you can check out my next problem which has to do with being able to format SD and USB memory sticks... I'll post that on the "applications" forum.

Thanks. People like you need to have a pat on the back for the assistance to others.

Jack