Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, If the dependencies for a particular software are not meet will I need to install the dependencies as the compiled software or will the dev, devel packages suffice? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    srj

dependencies question

Hello all,

If the dependencies for a particular software are not meet will I need to install the dependencies as the compiled software or will the dev, devel packages suffice?

Untitled.jpg

In the attached example do I need to install "libtdb-1.2.1-3.el6.i686.rpm" or will "libtdb-devel-1.2.1-3.el6.i686.rpm" be enough to install samba?

Thank you very much for your replies,

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I assume you are using YUM instead of RPM to install the package. This situation usually occurs when there are conflicts between different installed packages and what your new package needs to be installed. See what happens when you add the --skip-broken option first. Then we can try to determine if you need to temporarily disable some of the other repositories, another command line option to yum.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

srj
    Hello Rubberman,

Sorry if I haven't provided enough information or if my screenshot got you confused. The error occurred because I'm trying to build my own repository and left the dependencies out on purpose.
    My question was in general when using either yum or rpm.
    Will the dependencies will be satisfied with the devel (or dev) packages when asked or the package itself needs to be installed?

For example let's assume that I want to install a new software that can render mp3 files and the developer made xmss a dependency for it's software. In this fictional example will I have to install xmss (the actual software to the point where I can use it) or will xmss-devel (if one exists) will be enough to make the new software work?

Perhaps my question is not addressed correctly and I'm sorry if this is the case, but from the above example perhaps I don't want to use xmss and only the new software. Again that was just a fictional example and my question was placed in a general way.

Thank you for your time,
    Last edited by srj; 02-20-2013 at 08:23 PM.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Thanks for the clarification. Assuming that the appropriate version of xmss is found in one of the current repositories, then it will be installed by yum for you. You only need xmss-devel if you need to use it to build from source some other package, as it will contain the xmss headers and api definitions.

Your question was clear enough, other than the fact that you are building your own repository. Just remember that when posting such questions to the forums, clarity and completeness will help a lot for us to understand what you are trying to accomplish, and thus help accordingly.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

srj
    Thank you very much for your help.

I'll make sure to clarify my future questions from the start

Cheers,