Find the answer to your Linux question:
For the longest time, I did any diff comparisons manually but then started using vimdiff because of its power and ease of use on the command line in consoles. Recently, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

diff comparison tools

For the longest time, I did any diff comparisons manually but then started using vimdiff because of its power and ease of use on the command line in consoles. Recently, I started playing around with Meld and found it to be totally awesome as a GUI diff tool.

Are there any other free diff tools that you guys would recommend as equal or better than those two? Thanks...
    oz

Well, there is diff3.
    Then cmp, which is more geared towards binary files.
    Any revision control like git and svn also have their diffs.
    Also some tools that can show diffs of db structures such as mysql or sqlite diffs.
    Or picture/music diffs.
    So the question is rather: What is missing

Notes:
    - There is diffuse, which is a graphical diff like meld.
    - For my usecases, I tend to stay with diff. I managed several times to overwhelm meld with data, so it became very slow.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello, Irithori

I'm definitely going to look at diff3, and will be taking a closer look at diffuse, which I've only seen in screenshots thus far. While it's not happened to me yet, you are the second person that has mentioned Meld bogging down under a heavy load, so I might do some testing in that regard. Luckily, most of the comparisons that I do are relatively small in nature, but I want an app that can handle larger jobs if needed.

Thank you.
    oz

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi, oz.

These are some of the tools we use in addition to whatever might be in the Debian repository (tkdiff, wdiff, xxdiff, etc.). A few are locally produced and not generally available. I think you could Google the names and find sources. We tend to use CLI, not GUI.
    c
    Code:
    mptree          Compare directory trees recursively and report the differences.
    contrast         Work like comm, no sort, symmetric and simple difference,
    diff.pl          Display differences in text files, perl version.
    multi-diff       Find common lines, re-write files omitting common (module).
    psame            Find similarities between files or versions of files, opposite
    cdif             Compare 2 files for word differences.
    sbsdiff          Side-by-side comparison of files for 80 column device.
    snd              Summarize Numerical Differences, cf. ndiff.
    dwdiff           a delimited word diff program, cf. wdiff (local man)
    Best wishes ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

oz
    forum.guy
    I experimented a bit last night with diffuse and it works well. It's not quites as fancy in some ways as meld but it appears to be working better in other ways. Will continue to play around with this a bit before deciding. Thanks again, Irithori.

Quote Originally Posted by drl View Post
    These are some of the tools we use in addition to whatever might be in the Debian repository (tkdiff, wdiff, xxdiff, etc.). A few are locally produced and not generally available. I think you could Google the names and find sources. We tend to use CLI, not GUI.
    c
    Code:
    mptree          Compare directory trees recursively and report the differences.
    contrast         Work like comm, no sort, symmetric and simple difference,
    diff.pl          Display differences in text files, perl version.
    multi-diff       Find common lines, re-write files omitting common (module).
    psame            Find similarities between files or versions of files, opposite
    cdif             Compare 2 files for word differences.
    sbsdiff          Side-by-side comparison of files for 80 column device.
    snd              Summarize Numerical Differences, cf. ndiff.
    dwdiff           a delimited word diff program, cf. wdiff (local man)
    Best wishes ... cheers, drl
    All but dwdiff on your listing are new to me but I'll check them out.

Thank you, drl.
    oz

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi, oz.

The "mptree" should have been cmptree -- I mistakenly put the "c' outside the quote marks ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )