Find the answer to your Linux question:
I realized that both Microsoft and Apple videos BOTH require their stupid plugin (quicktime and silverlight) to watch videos related to them. I never need quicktime, but I need Silverlight ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Easy way to watch Silverlight videos on Linux?

I realized that both Microsoft and Apple videos BOTH require their stupid plugin (quicktime and silverlight) to watch videos related to them. I never need quicktime, but I need Silverlight to enjoy their Halo Waypoint website, selfish really.

Well, there is moonlight, but I wouldnt have too much hope.
    Most probably the answer is: nope, no way
    Last edited by Irithori; 02-22-2013 at 10:28 PM.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Short answer: Nope.
    There have been several announcements that there are no plans to release a version of Silverlight that will run on Linux.
    As Irithori mentioned, there is Moonlight, but mileage may vary.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Actually, the answer is yes.

Install the compholio wine bottle / netflix desktop app here.

Launch the app.

F11 to exit full screen mode.

Right click a drop down menu and open something in a new tab.

Right click in the empty space of the top bar. In the drop dowm menu check both "Menu Bar" and "Navigation Bar".

You now have a fully functional windows firefox instance on your desktop with special wine patches that make silverlight work. You can watch netflix or whatever other silverlight stuff you want.

But, be advised, this is not default wine. It is compholio wine. Not same same. So even though silverlight works other stuff may not. For instance, I haven't been able to get flash working yet.

If you're not on a .deb system I think the author has source code on his homepage; search for compholio.

I had heard that that app was in the works, but wasn't aware that it had gone prime-time.
    Does that wok for all videos that require Silverlight, or just NetFlix?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    I had heard that that app was in the works, but wasn't aware that it had gone prime-time.
    Does that wok for all videos that require Silverlight, or just NetFlix?
    Take a look see jay https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1UM...SUU/edit?pli=1
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I haven't tested on anything other than netflix. But from poking around with it I see no reason why it wouldn't work for other streaming silverlight sites. FireFox appears to be a standard windows install with a few superifical changes like setting netflix as the home page and hiding the various menu bars.

I have tested surfing around the web with it though and it works. I went to adobe and tried to install flash so I could get the trailers feature working in netflix.

Silverlight also appears to be default windows. It looks like the only really spiffy stuff is some patches to wine to get silverlight working in the bottle.

With default doze versions of SL and FF and just some patches in the interpreter to get the output "readable" by *nix I don't see why it wouldn't work everywhere.

------------------
    Edit:

I just went to the SilverLight Balls Test Page and it worked.
    Last edited by Steven_G; 02-23-2013 at 01:05 AM.