Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! I'm new to the forums and Linux itself. I'm encountering an issue and thought someone here may be able to help me. I can't seem to update Google Chrome. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems updating chrome...

Hello! I'm new to the forums and Linux itself. I'm encountering an issue and thought someone here may be able to help me.

I can't seem to update Google Chrome. Whenever I try, Synaptic Package Manager sends back this message:

W: Ignoring file 'google-chrome.list.save' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension

There is more, but it contains a URL and I cannot post it (yet!)

What does this mean? What can I do to fix it?

Thanks!

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by hmv9999 View Post
    I can't seem to update Google Chrome. Whenever I try, Synaptic Package Manager sends back this message:

W: Ignoring file 'google-chrome.list.save' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
    that is a warning, not an error. you can ignore it. or move the file to get rid of the warning:
    Code:
    sudo mv /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list.save /tmp
    There is more, but it contains a URL and I cannot post it (yet!)
    replace the http in the URL with hxxp, so that you can post it here.
    Last edited by atreyu; 02-26-2013 at 01:52 AM. Reason: got rid of garbage quote

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your answer, but I went ahead with a reinstall. It was the coward's way out, but the problem is solved... I think.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by hmv9999 View Post
    Thanks for your answer, but I went ahead with a reinstall. It was the coward's way out, but the problem is solved... I think.
    Hey, sometimes I need to go into orbit and nuke the whole planet, too!

Just keep my suggestions in mind if this crops up again, and if it does, just post a new thread.