Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Plugin directory of Mozilla Firefox 19.0 on Ubuntu

I've tried to install a Java Plugin on my Firefox using the manual at the Oracle's site. But I've failed to find the firefox plugin directory. There was no plugin dir in ~/.mozilla. I've tried to create it and create the symbolic link (pointing to the plugin file in JRE) in it. Also, I've tried to create the symlink at ~/.mozilla/extensions. But the plugin did not work, firefox couldn't see it.
    Can some tell me, where's the firefox's plugin directory? Or at least how can I install the Java plugin for firefox?

forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by angstrem View Post
    I've tried to install a Java Plugin on my Firefox using the manual at the Oracle's site. But I've failed to find the firefox plugin directory. There was no plugin dir in ~/.mozilla. I've tried to create it and create the symbolic link (pointing to the plugin file in JRE) in it. Also, I've tried to create the symlink at ~/.mozilla/extensions. But the plugin did not work, firefox couldn't see it.
    Can some tell me, where's the firefox's plugin directory? Or at least how can I install the Java plugin for firefox?
    Hello and welcome!

On the box I'm running at the moment, system-wide installed plugins go in the /usr/lib/firefox/plugins folder and locally installed plugins go in the /home/user_name/.mozilla/plugins folder.
    oz

But Oz, ya run Arch. I installed Ubuntu 12.10 based Mint 14 last night on this laptop for grins.

Code:
     $ cd /usr/lib/mozilla
    harry@biker /usr/lib/mozilla $ ls
    plugins
    harry@biker /usr/lib/mozilla $ cd plugins
    harry@biker /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins $ ls
    libflashplayer.so  libtotem-cone-plugin.so  libtotem-mully-plugin.so
    libjavaplugin.so   libtotem-gmp-plugin.so   libtotem-narrowspace-plugin.so
     $ cat /etc/issue.net
    Linux Mint 14 Nadia
    I refuse to let fear and fear of others rule my life. It puts my humanity at risk.
    Accepting Death is the only way to stay alive.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    forum.guy
    Yeah, I think the devs for various distros put it in different places for reasons of their own, but it can cause some confusion.
    oz

Thank you, guys, very much! The correct folder is /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. Everything works now