Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've tried to install a Java Plugin on my Firefox using the manual at the Oracle's site. But I've failed to find the firefox plugin directory. There was no plugin ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Plugin directory of Mozilla Firefox 19.0 on Ubuntu

I've tried to install a Java Plugin on my Firefox using the manual at the Oracle's site. But I've failed to find the firefox plugin directory. There was no plugin dir in ~/.mozilla. I've tried to create it and create the symbolic link (pointing to the plugin file in JRE) in it. Also, I've tried to create the symlink at ~/.mozilla/extensions. But the plugin did not work, firefox couldn't see it.
    Can some tell me, where's the firefox's plugin directory? Or at least how can I install the Java plugin for firefox?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by angstrem View Post
    I've tried to install a Java Plugin on my Firefox using the manual at the Oracle's site. But I've failed to find the firefox plugin directory. There was no plugin dir in ~/.mozilla. I've tried to create it and create the symbolic link (pointing to the plugin file in JRE) in it. Also, I've tried to create the symlink at ~/.mozilla/extensions. But the plugin did not work, firefox couldn't see it.
    Can some tell me, where's the firefox's plugin directory? Or at least how can I install the Java plugin for firefox?
    Hello and welcome!

On the box I'm running at the moment, system-wide installed plugins go in the /usr/lib/firefox/plugins folder and locally installed plugins go in the /home/user_name/.mozilla/plugins folder.
    oz

But Oz, ya run Arch. I installed Ubuntu 12.10 based Mint 14 last night on this laptop for grins.

Code:
     $ cd /usr/lib/mozilla
    harry@biker /usr/lib/mozilla $ ls
    plugins
    harry@biker /usr/lib/mozilla $ cd plugins
    harry@biker /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins $ ls
    libflashplayer.so  libtotem-cone-plugin.so  libtotem-mully-plugin.so
    libjavaplugin.so   libtotem-gmp-plugin.so   libtotem-narrowspace-plugin.so
     $ cat /etc/issue.net
    Linux Mint 14 Nadia
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    Yeah, I think the devs for various distros put it in different places for reasons of their own, but it can cause some confusion.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thank you, guys, very much! The correct folder is /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. Everything works now