Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm looking for a (preferably simple) program, similar to iSpy for Windows, which allows me to setup a webcam outside my room and gives me a sound alert when motion ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Simple motion detection software with sound alert

I'm looking for a (preferably simple) program, similar to iSpy for Windows, which allows me to setup a webcam outside my room and gives me a sound alert when motion is detected.

As far as I know, this is not possible with either Zoneminder or Motion for Linux (I haven't done much research yet so I might be wrong). Again, all I need is a sound alert when motion is detected.

Are there any alternative programs that can do this? Or can Zoneminder/Motion do this anyways?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I've done this before, by setting the camera to not turn on until it detects motion in its range, and then it is pretty simple to filter that to trigger an alert as you want. Of course, I wrote custom code to deal with that... Unfortunately, that was about 8-9 years ago, so I have no clue where the code is any longer - another company, another state!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

According to ZoneMinders's wiki , it can be done:

ZoneMinder - Wiki - Instant Notification

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close