Find the answer to your Linux question:
Sir while operating linux power failure occured and so my external USB harddisk was in accessible in windows and accessible in Linux so I have struggled a lot and finally ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Some of the flaws in Linux OS

Sir while operating linux power failure occured and so my external USB harddisk was in accessible in windows and accessible in Linux so I have struggled a lot and finally succeeded and I have encountered some bad experience during the process and I am bringing to your notice and hope you may rectify them.

At first I have tried stellar phoneix data recovery software in windows which has taken approximately 12 hours just to scan the drive to recover and asking some more time to store the data to another temporary disk. Then I thought better to use dolphin browser to copy data to temporary disk and the process has taken three days due to frequent power failures.Then I have ran the command ddrescue command and the process has taken 18 hours.

Here I have used another external harddisk of size 1TB to data recovery.

What I have learned from this is that while working with linux we have to properly shutdown the system otherwise the situations may be disastrous.Actually the problem started due to improper shutdown of linux.Previously improper shutdown has been occured many times while operating windows OS but I have never encountered such a problem.

A note about dolphin or nautilus browsers.

Actually details about my data on source disk are 750GB,184000 folders,1008400 files.
    When I first tried to copy data to some destination disk approximately it has taken two hours just to create directories then power failure occured and so I have resarted the copy process and again it has taken 1.5 hours just to parse directories. I think that file copying of large volumes of data in linux is very slow.

Regards,

Rupesh.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Power failures and surges are always a problem, for Linux and most other stuff. If you are using a journalling file system, such as ext3 or ext4 for your Linux system, recovery is fairly simple, and a reboot will usually detect the corruption and fix it automatically. The only issue is when it corrupts the MBR (master boot record / boot sector). In such a case, recovery is more difficult, as you discovered. If you make a backup image of the MBR (you can do that pretty easily with the dd command) and store it to a thumb drive, then you can boot a recovery / live CD/DVD and restore the MBR from that image, then either run fsck on the file systems affected, or reboot and the system will recover for you.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!