Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all I have a ham radio application that basically I can only get a Windows version for. I say basically because the linux version had a time bomb in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Application problem - windows emulation on a small scale

Hi all

I have a ham radio application that basically I can only get a Windows version for. I say basically because the linux version had a time bomb in it and has not been maintained so that's unusable.

OK you say - go use WINE. However here's where things are a little unusual. I want to run this application on my Debian based 700 mhz Raspberry Pi. Wine is too big to run on the Pi.

However I just need to run this application, not use all the other bells and whistles that come with WINE. I simply need a program that can work out which elements of wine or what other software bits and pieces are necessary to make my program run under Linux and then take those bits and pieces along with the Windows version of the program and wrap it into one small package.

Is there such a program that can do this?

cheers Peter

Hi and welcome

No there isnt.
    First of all, dissecting wine in such a way would be quite difficult. If at all possible or even worth the effort.
    Then it would still be an emulation, and the cpu power of a pi is limited.
    Lastly, the pi has an arm architecture, not x86.
    Apparently there even is a wine for arm, but it uses qemu to emulate x86. Again, not something you want to do on a pi.

So you need a native linux (and pi) ham radio tool.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Quote Originally Posted by Irithori View Post
    Hi and welcome

No there isnt.
    First of all, dissecting wine in such a way would be quite difficult. If at all possible or even worth the effort.
    Then it would still be an emulation, and the cpu power of a pi is limited.
    Lastly, the pi has an arm architecture, not x86.
    Apparently there even is a wine for arm, but it uses qemu to emulate x86. Again, not something you want to do on a pi.

So you need a native linux (and pi) ham radio tool.
    Not sure I agree with what is being said here in a few different ways.

1. Dissecting WINE wouldn't be impossible. I do agree, however, that it would be very difficult and more importantly it would require an in-depth understanding of WINE's translations and architecture.
    2. It would still be an emulation? It's not an emulation to begin with, how would it 'still be one'? There is no emulation, look at the (current) acronym for WINE, the program would run at its native speed, it isn't emulated.
    3. WINE is FOSS, it can be compiled if somebody was dedicated enough to to do so for any architecture where a C compiler is available - including ARM. The code might have to be modified, however, to deal with some of the differences (mostly ISA differences I'd reckon) between x86 and ARM, if one wanted to avoid using qemu. Running it through qemu IS indeed emulating it (opposed to simply running a program through WINE) and the performance would most likely be unusable.

So yeah, while I disagree with some of the things posted in the previous response, I agree in the sense that "realistically? No" - but I mean anything is possible if you want to hack away at it for hours on end.

Though I'm kind of curious, while I don't know a plethora about HAM, what does the tool do and why does it need to be installed on a Pi?