Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just downloaded Blender. I want to but this somewhere that can be accessed by me when I'm logged on and my partner when she's logged on. I don't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do I install a program to be used by more than 1 user.

I have just downloaded Blender. I want to but this somewhere that can be accessed by me when I'm logged on and my partner when she's logged on. I don't want two copies floating around on my computer though.

I have tried placing the blender directory in /usr/share/ but when I load it up using a shortcut - it seems to be missing some files... and doesn't seem to load properly.

Can anybody tell me where to put this so I don't have any issues.

Also, I am wanting to download netscape and it's location will probably become a problem when we both want to use it.

I hope this question makes sense.

Linux Engineer
    Linux is designed so to be a multi-user environment. I don't know how you installed this program but most program should give the permissions for OTHERS. Are you familiar with UNIX file permissions? If you understand this, you shouldn't have any problems.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Engineer
    Did you install some files in your home directory or something so that other users gets permission denied when they are trying to access them or something?? Check the permissions also... so that everybody can access them, otherwise change the permissions with chown,chmod commands.

Regards
    Regards

Andutt

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    There was no installation as such. It was just a tar that unpacked as a directory with the program. This doesn't matter anyway. My partner has decided to go back to windows so she won't need to use any of these programs. D'oh!

I understand permissions. I'll have a muck around with it sometime.

Linux Engineer
    I'd hate to see that she has decided to go back to Windows. Going back to the problem, I'm still not sure why you are having this problem if you understand UNIX file permissions.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Enthusiast
    if it is simply just an extraction to a directory in user mode, why not just do it twice? It doesn't sound that it is a monumentally huge program, how big is it anyway? are you in tough for disk space?

Linux Engineer
    Give it another try!!....paste in how the filepermissions looks like on the binary that you had moved to /usr/share and the errormessage.

Regards
    Regards

Andutt