Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I can't remember which version of fedora I used at that time but I am sure it has grub legacy because at that time I have checked /boot directory and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I can't remember which version of fedora I used at that time but I am sure it has grub legacy because at that time I have checked /boot directory and I have found menu.lst file.

Have you catch my point ie., grub2 do not have menu.lst file instead it has grub.cfg file which contains list of operating systems.

Linux Guru
    Boot one of the Linux Live Cds, go to the site below, read the instructions in the link in the Description box, download and run the bootinfoscript the post the output (results.txt file) here to get some assistance:

Boot Info Script | Free System Administration software downloads at SourceForge.net

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thanks for your suggestions and right now I am not facing these problems now and these was experienced previously. I have posted just to point out bugs or flaws . What I to say finally about this issue is if we install a Linux distro with grub2 as boot loader and if it corrupts we can't retain boot loader by installing grub2 from rescue mode.

Again I have encountered some problems this day. Actually I have two harddisks of size 160GB and 500GB. I have dedicated the whole 500GB harddisk to Linux OS and on 160GB harddisk I have created two partitions one for Windows7 and another for ext3.While operating opensuse12.2 power failure occurred at that time I was accessing ext3 partition on 160GB harddisk finally after rebooting the system I opened gparted and it showed no partitions and it showed an option create partition table and I selected it and after this step when I restarted the system I was even unable to boot into Windows7. Then I have tried testdisk four times each and every time it is showing different errors like cylinders are not correct etc. Then I have installed mongo rescue with lot of struggle due to dependencies. When I ran mongoarchive and mongorestore there is an icon for harddisk when I selected it it is not performing what I expected and doing unnecessary tasks.Now in order to restore partitions on 160GB disk I have to install Windows OS in another harddisk and run recovery software which are almost user Friendly that too I am not sure whether it will succeed or not.

This is the second time I have lost partitions at first time it affected one TB external harddisk and now 160GB internal harddisk. While I was operating on Windows OS many times power failures occurred but no data loss.

Please help me in order to restore my partitions on 160GB harddisk.

Sir can you please describe how to recover partition table using gpart.
    I have ran the command gpart /dev/sda and it showed four partitions which I have expected.

I am trying to recover the data lost on harddisk's which has been damaged while operating linux OS from the past three months still not yet succeded. I am living in remote area so there are frequent power failures each and every time while operating linux new problems are being created among those main issue is partition loss.

Almost any unix geek says that linux provides tight security,high performance etc., yes it may be true but the main drawbacks are frequent data loss due to power failure, high risk in installing packages. While windows only drawback is security. I am using the same harddisks for both windows and linux. At any circumstances I have not encountered data loss while operating windows OS.

So I think lot of work need to be done inorder to overcome the abobe drawbacks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2