Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
At one time I have installed two linux distros and finally there was no grub menu from atleast one distro.So I have tried to installed grub2 from rescue mode and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Some of the Gnu softwares which haven't worked and lead me to troubles

At one time I have installed two linux distros and finally there was no grub menu from atleast one distro.So I have tried to installed grub2 from rescue mode and the message grub installation success appeared still there was no boot menu after restarting the system.

At some time while operating on OpenSuse11.4 gnome I have installed theme for gnome and then system was unbootable.

At some time I have installed fedora19 X86-64 with single LVM partitioning then power failure occurred and the system was unbootable so I ran file system check several times but no use.

In order to solve above issue I ran testdisk on LVM partition and at some time it asked to write partition information to disk MBR and I answered yes and after restarting I was unable to boot other operating systems resided on the disk and when I viewed the disk on partition manager like gparted it showed no partitions.

I have tried PhotoRec software in order to recover a folder of size 28GB
    containing 550000 jpeg files.The software is recovering files but without directory structure which is of no use.

Please try to fix above issues and I am requesting you to build free and open source software which must not throw users into troubles.

On seeing this posting you may panic, please do not because I am well wisher of FOSS so I am suggesting and requesting.

Regards,
    Rupesh.
    Last edited by rupeshforu3; 04-11-2013 at 10:50 AM.

When I expect help from the related forums there is no response and even some are replying that don't ask any more questions.

In your forum I have posted a thread titled "expecting help at high risk" one week back still there is no response. This problem was also created during operating Linux.Please respond to this thread atleast.

Regards,
    Rupesh.

Just Joined!
    Quite frankly, you make some very general statements about some problems you have had, but if you want help from someone in the forum you really need to be much more specific about what system you have, what you did that led up to the problem, etc. Also, asking a whole bunch of questions in one thread is not going to bring about much response either. A lot of forum members would like to help, but most people's time is limited, so you need to be much more specific about what you need help with. One question per thread, and be prepared to provide descriptions of what you did that led to the problem, etc.

Linux Newbie
    What type of hardware is it?
    What OS's are installed and in what order?

I fail to understand why a Gnome theme would cause a boot problem -- which theme was it?

From the details it seems that for some reason the MBR gets corrupted and quite easily.

Best to start with one OS that definitely works then install another and take us through what you have done, what partitions used, where grub was written to, etc. and what resulted.

I have installed gnome theme started with oxygen and after restarting I was unable to see gdm login screen.

After installing two linux distros I have connected another harddisk and installed windows7 so the MBR of Linux distros disk was overwritten and the linux distros are fedora and opensuse12.1 which was installed last.So I have tried to install grub from rescue of both distros but not succeeded.
    Last edited by rupeshforu3; 04-12-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Linux Guru
    I have tried to install grub from rescue of both distros but not succeeded.
    How did you try to reinstall grub and which grub did you try to reinstall? Opensuse 11.4 uses Grub Legacy. Depending upon which release of Fedora you have, you may have Grub Legacy with it or Grub2. Are you able to boot either Opensuse or Fedora? Are you trying to reinstall Grub from the Live CD of one of these?

Sorry I have mentioned version of suse wrong and it was 12.1. Fedora has grub legacy while suse has grub2.

Linux Guru
    Fedora has grub legacy while suse has grub2.
    You neglected to indicate which release of Fedora you have, it must be several versions old if it still has Grub Legacy. You didn't answer the other questions.

I have used installation DVDs to enter into rescue mode and followed the procedure for installing grub by searching the web. After this step I have restarted the system there is neither Windows boot loader nor Linux boot loader and I got the screen filled with grub>.

Previously when I used older Linux distros the procedure worked fine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast