Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello dear linux-friends, update note - as i say below - i have (after getting kgpg to work ) generated a new key. so i guess that i now did ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

invoking the GPC-AGENT & to initially firing up the agent (enigmail)

hello dear linux-friends,

update

note - as i say below - i have (after getting kgpg to work ) generated a new key. so i guess that i now did all what is necessary to run the gnugpg-agent.

Well i was wondering how i invoke the gpg-agent - but at the moment i think that after the first start of KGpg and after
    creating a first key-pair the gpg-agent is running for ever and ever. The agent will get started after system start.
    Well - since i have managed to enter / import all the keys into KGpg i think i am lucky and the credentials are loaded.

So now i think all necessary things are done - to proeceed running (and using) thundermail and enigmail.

....well now i am facing a new problem.

kgpg does not start while kgpg -k does

well i thougth that kgpg should start at start up of the computer but it can't:

if i get it starting up with the command kgpg -k in console then it runs - but not with an other way to start - in system tray nothing happens.

if you press the button - nothing happens.

by the way - after i have set up a new key-pair
    so i guess that i now have all done that is needed to invoke the gpg-agent

but the question is: do i need to start KGpg in the terminal

starting it with the command kgpg -k in console seems to work

everytime i close kgpg - then the only way to restart is - by doing this via the command in terminal
    the other (alternative) way - starting it with some clicks in the sytem tray - does not work at all.

why is this so!?

the original-posting was the following:

i currently stuck to the process "invoking the GPC-AGENT" , as a prerequisite for Thunderbird and enigmail .

i am trying to initially firing up the agent to run enigmail
    i am currently configuring all the prerequesites for the thunderbird and enigmail

at the moment i have a vanilla-installation of opensuse 12.3 on my notebook - all is fresh - no old data or credentials are used.
    The whole systme is new and fresh.

see the following data - of the operating system and the rest of fresh installation note - i do not need to import all the mails - i only need to import the credentials. and i have managed this.

so to sume up what is gained: what is on the machine; - the following things:

operating-system; OpenSuse 12.3
    Thunderbird Version 17.0.5
    gpg2 - GnuPG 2
    GnuPG 2 is the successor of "GnuPG" or GPG. It provides: GPGSM, gpg-agent, and a keybox library.
    version 2.0.19-5.1.1. i 586 OpenSuse 12.3-1.7 mit Prioritäg 99
    libassuan0 - IPC library used by GnuPG version 2
    version 2.0.3-2.1.1 i586 OpenSuse 12.3-1.7 mit Prioritäg 99
    libgpgme11 - a library that allows the access of programmes to GnuPG.

again: well and i ve done a import of the credentials and password files into the KGpg
    in KGpg all the passwords are included.

By the way - i do not want to use openPGP. i prefer the usage of KGpg

The question now is: how to proceed the next steps are to look for the correct installation and configuring of gnupg.

Code:
    martin linux-70ce:~/perl>
    martin linux-70ce:~/perl>      gpg --version
    gpg (GnuPG) 2.0.19
    libgcrypt 1.5.0
    Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later

This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
    There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Home: ~/.gnupg
    Unterstützte Verfahren:
    Öff. Schlüssel: RSA, ELG, DSA
    Verschlü.: IDEA, 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH, CAMELLIA128,
                CAMELLIA192, CAMELLIA256
    Hash: MD5, SHA1, RIPEMD160, SHA256, SHA384, SHA512, SHA224
    Komprimierung: nicht komprimiert, ZIP, ZLIB, BZIP2
    martin linux-70ce:~/perl> ^C
    martin linux-70ce:~/perl>
    On this page here - Invoking GPG-AGENT - Using the GNU Privacy Guard a short descripton on Invoking GPG-AGENT shows how to do things.

question: how to invoke the gnupg? and very very important for me is the question - Do i have to invoke this GPC-AGENT for one or how many user!?
    It is best not to run multiple instance of the gpg-agent, so you should make sure that only one is running.
    How to make sure that i do invoke the GPC-AGENT only one time and not twice or three times.

Which steps are needet - what do i need to get enigmail up and running!?

love to hear from you

greetings
    Last edited by sayhello; 05-26-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Trusted Penguin
    Hi,

I don't run KDE, so I'm not familiar with that program. but have you checked the KGpg Handbook (PDF) (an HTML version at KDE's website)? Maybe it has clues on starting it properly in a KDE session.