Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Eldergeek
I received two spam emails that have something in them that locks up evolution as soon as it is selected. I'd like to delete them, but so far I haven't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

incoming email crashes evolution: how can I delete it?

I received two spam emails that have something in them that locks up evolution as soon as it is selected. I'd like to delete them, but so far I haven't found a way to do it.

The evolution is old--2.28.2, and on an old Suse 10, but the same emails on a newer one also locks it up; this one running a not-as-old Fedora 14.

Just Joined!
    I have used Evolution with Ubuntu for several years. I few versions ago I thought that I had a similar issue with an inbound email. This email was a large PDF, not spam. I could not delete it and it prevented me from receiving any other email, but I could send email. While I tried many different fixes the problem was resolved when I deleted a message filter that I had somehow setup without a "move to" folder. Go to EDIT, then MESSAGE FILTERS and check each filter for proper formation. If you are unable to open Evolution to try this fix look for the message log which may help you further. Good luck.

Just Joined!
    I don't know of an email service which doesn't offer a web interface where you can login to view or manage (i.e. delete) email from a browser. If you don't know the URL for the web interface from your service provider you can probably google for it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    dllan,

Thanks for the thoughts. The filters were not set so that wasn't the problem. In looking for a log file I saw "Inbox" in the ~/.evolution/local/mail folder. I located the offending emails in the file and edited them out. They didn't appear in the Inbox list, but the the status still showed two unread emails. I emptied trash and that went away, so it looks OK.

Eldergeek,

I was able to delete the emails from the server (Verizon), but the problem was that emails were on the local machine and evolution would freeze whenever the file was selected.

It looks like emails that exploit something in evolution. I didn't save the header info, but both had the same header ..something about jimbob.com IIRC. It makes me wonder if it loaded a virus.

Just Joined!
    Your computer would likely have been totally hosed if you were using Windows.
    I've never liked evolution. I much prefer to use thunderbird/iceweasel.
    Clayman1000x likes this.

Just Joined!
    you have to make subfolders , disable indexing and try to defragement database for evolution