Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with vim - Warning: BACKGROUND color not defined

Everytime I quit a file viewed or edited by vi/vim I get the following message:
    Code:
    Warning: Color name "BACKGROUND" is not defined
    This happens when in a graphical desktop environment, not on the 'real' console (CTRL+ALT+F2) though. I tried several desktops (MATE [my default], GNOME Shell, XFCE, KDE) as well as different terminal emulators (GNOME terminal, MATE terminal, Konsole, LXTerminal, UXTerm...). Always the same behavior. Then I set different color schemes for vim, no success. The same happens when changing the color in the terminal emulator. This behavior afflicts all users, I logged in with different users, root is affected too.

The locale settings are correct (en_US.UTF-, I checked to be sure that it's not case of a configuration file that cannot read the variable 'BACKGROUND'. I grep'ed all vim-files for the string 'BACKGROUND' to see whether there was something misconfigured here, no luck.

It seems like I'm the only person having this problem, I could not find solution for the issue online.

Vim is in version 7.3.905

Sabayon Linux 11 64bit (MATE desktop)

Thanks for your help

Vi/Vim is console based plain text editor not for graphical desktop environment, you should try gvim, This an attempt to provide a GUI editor based on the vim console editor or you can also use gedit.

Just Joined!
    Quite frankly, am I to take this response serious?

I'm using Vi/Vim in a console via a terminal-emulator which is actual quite normal for a desktop Linux system. So except for the terminal-emulator settings (font, colors, scroll-back) everything should be as on the true console (I checked the settings on the Sabayon system with the ones, exact same emulators, on other distributions I have installed, Debian, AntiX, Fedora, and there it works flawlessly). I mainly use Vi/Vim for system adminstration tasks like editing config files.

Generally I rarely have anything to do with mere text files, for TeX-documents I use a LaTeX-editor like Kile for example. For four years I have been using a terminal-emulator together with Vi/Vim on several different distributions and desktop environments without any issues at all. So in principle, and not only theoretically, this works! And by the way I have never heard from anyone even from senior sys admins that one should not use Vi/Vim in a terminal-emulator in a desktop system.

But anyway thanks for response ^^

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close