Find the answer to your Linux question:
SHORT VERSION: How do I make a Remote Desktop Connection from Linux(the guest) to Windows(the host) using the command line? If it can be done in the command line but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Remote Desktop Connection From Linux to Windows?

SHORT VERSION: How do I make a Remote Desktop Connection from Linux(the guest) to Windows(the host) using the command line? If it can be done in the command line but is long or confusing, is there a reliable native Linux application available? Low resources make Wine a poor option.

I-LIKE-TO-READ VERSION: Hi all. After installing Mint on my laptop overwriting W7 and showing the old man-in-law how fast it boots up, he wanted me to install it on his bloatware (and possibly spyware) infested Vista desktop (overwriting it rather than dual boot) So now he has Mint 15 cinnamon as well.

He's not good with computers but does need to make a remote desktop connection to work once in a while, which he used to do with Vista. I warned him that I'm not sure if there's compatibility or security issues trying to remotely connect from linux to windows, and as far as I know there is not proprietary software preloaded on mint 15 for this. I'm quite new to linux myself and even with windows I've never needed to make a remote connection. He said go ahead and install and worry about the remote connection after. He was so sick of the problems vista was giving him that he just wanted to be rid of it even if the remote connection is iffy.

What I would like to know is if it is possible to make a remote desktop connection as a linux guest to a windows host. I am unsure of the version of windows his work is running but can find out if that info would matter. It would be best if its possible to do this from the command line...if it is, and it's not too complicated then could someone please post the step by step commands or point me to a link you know is clear and correct on these details? I really hope I won't have to get wine involved in this because his desktop is very scarce on resources. CPU idles around 70% with 1 instance of Mozilla running, and he has 1GB of some old RAM

Again I'm new to Linux and also not much of a command line person (starting to learn now though) so please make it noob-friendly.

Thanks for your time. BTW I'm really loving MY mint install. No joke; my laptop boots up and fires up a browser LITERALLY in about 25% of the time it would take W7 to do the same. Well, they both boot fairly quickly to the UI but when the UI launches in Linux its stable and ready to accept commands whereas W7 used to take another 60 seconds or so before it would respond to any input or launch apps. Love it!

Linux Enthusiast
    From the command line (rdesktop rdesktop: A Remote Desktop Protocol client) but I would go with grdesktop (grdesktop - Homepage) a gui wrapper for rdesktop.

Remember that "man XXXXX" is your friend.
    Last edited by alf55; 06-23-2013 at 04:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DontJostleJustin View Post
    SHORT VERSION: How do I make a Remote Desktop Connection from Linux(the guest) to Windows(the host) using the command line? If it can be done in the command line but is long or confusing, is there a reliable native Linux application available? Low resources make Wine a poor option.

Basically, open a terminal, type:
    Code:
    rdesktop servername.com
    You might find it handy also to include other parameters, such as -f for full-screen, -d for the domain, -u for user, -p for password,
    eg:
    Code:
    rdesktop -f -u username -d localnet -p password servername.com
    There are other parameters that can be used. Check out the previous poster's link.
    You could right-click on the desktop, select create new launcher, and in the command part, type in the appropriate rdesktop commands.Save it, make sure it is executable, and you're away laughing.

Hope this helps

Just Joined!
    I just gotta say "well done" for converting the old man-in-law. I hope it works out for him.