Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By elija
I have a question about GNU free software and the Linux repositories. I'm using two different mind mapping programs, FreeMind and Xmind. FreeMind is fully GNU. There's only one version ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

question about repositories

I have a question about GNU free software and the Linux repositories. I'm using two different mind mapping programs, FreeMind and Xmind. FreeMind is fully GNU. There's only one version of it. You can download it and use it to your heart's content, copy it for others, change it. You know the drill. XMind, on the other hand, has a free version that it calls GNU open source, but it also has two additional paid versions.

I've been using both FreeMind and XMind under Windows, and I just got them both installed under Kubuntu now. I'm excited to be needing Windows less and less. FreeMind was available in the repositories. I had to download and install XMind. Is XMind not in the repositories specifically because it also offers proprietary versions? Its free version is just as powerful as FreeMind. The paid versions offer a bunch of online collaboration features and templates that I don't need. I've tried the paid versions and I don't need them at all. Its free version will do everything I want. It's certainly not crippleware.

I'm sure the GNU community wants to avoid having crippleware end up in the repositories. In case anyone here is not familiar with it, crippleware is software with all the good features removed and offered for free in hopes that people will buy the real version.

Will the avoidance of crippleware keep quality free software out of the repositories? I'm just curious how decisions are made regarding what makes it into the repositories and what doesn't. I don't have any connection to the development or sale of XMind.

I only installed Kubuntu a week ago and I've already run across some software that I could recommend to the repositories.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    To get a definitive answer, the best people to ask will be the *buntu package maintainers. However, in some cases there could be licensing issues, or maybe there is no demand or even time; if you think how much software is out there, it would be a virtual impossibility to get it all packaged up.

Many projects provide a ppa for Ubuntu and it's derivatives. I don't know if xmind does.
    rokytnji likes this.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Okay, thanks. I'm going to look into whether there's an official process for submitting an app for consideration for the repositories. I found another terrific one today named FreeFileSync. I used it all day for syncing one drive with the next. I always make sure to have at least two copies of all my data for obvious reasons. This utility does that really well. I'm going to suggest it if possible.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'm not familiar with the software in question, but there may be a paid version simply for the online features and templates.

I guess it would be like comparing RHEL to CentoOS. The main (read: most obvious) reason to use RHEL would be for the support options.

Just my 2 cents.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.