Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello all... I have just re-installed Debian as a 64 bit version and went to do my thing with a plug computer that I use screen to monitor it's boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

screen exits with no error message

Hello all...

I have just re-installed Debian as a 64 bit version and went to do my thing with a plug computer that I use screen to monitor it's boot process.

It is now just exiting without any kind of error message. I can see the indicator telling me the USB connection is ok and it does have a /dev/ttyUSB0 entry in the dev directory, so I'm not sure the quickest way to diagnose this problem. It's only output is "[screen is terminating]". I can scroll back up and just the invocation is there.

If I hadn't just reinstalled the OS, I would think hardware, but it's indicators seem to show that it's operational.

Thanks
    Jack

Just Joined!
    Hi

Hope this will help.

h t t p : / / e n . g e n t o o - w i k i . c o m / w i k i / X . O r g / D u a l _ M o n i t o r s

Just Joined!
    Hi

Hope this will help.

h t t p : / / w w w . x . o r g / a r c h i v e / X 1 1 R 7 . 5 / d o c / m a n / m a n 1 / x r a n d r . 1 . h t m l

h t t p : / / e n . g e n t o o - w i k i . c o m / w i k i / X . O r g / D u a l _ M o n i t o r s

h t t p s : / / 0 1 . o r g / l i n u x g r a p h i c s / d o c u m e n t a t i o n / h o w - s e t - d u a l - h e a d - i n t e l - g r a p h i c s - r a n d r - 1 . 2

Sorry for the spaces. Still can't past links here.

(the edit/save button seems not to work...)

chris_inx, thanks will look at them. I have a problem on my machine now and then, especially here. Did you notice that the 'Thanks Jack' is double spaced? While I'm typing all of a sudden the characters go into double whatever they are. I know I can kill my browser and it restart it and it's ok. I'm almost sure I'm hitting some key sequence that causes it, but haven't found out what it is. I touch type and fat finger a lot of thing, wish I knew.

But thanks, I will see if they give me a clue

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    These links didn't seem to mention the actual 'screen' other than multiple screens used in multiple monitor setups. What I have a problem with is the screen command in Linux that lets you act like a terminal to an RS-232 or serial USB connection. I'm trying to talk with a plug computer, that worked ok until I installed a amd 64 bit system on the machine. I'm starting to wonder about that...

I don't know if you noticed that your pastes have an extra space in them? As I was saying my browser does that sometimes halfway thought a post!

Thanks

Jack
    Last edited by jkwilborn; 07-19-2013 at 01:37 AM.

Just Joined!
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by jkwilborn View Post
    I don't know if you noticed that your pastes have an extra space in them? As I was saying my browser does that sometimes halfway thought a post!

Thanks

Jack
    Sorry for the spaces in the links that I've past : I do have to add them because I can't past 'pure' links.

Actually, I found the following :

When a program terminates, screen (per default) kills the window that contained it. If this window was in the foreground, the display switches to the previously displayed window; if none are left, screen exits.

at

h t t p : / / w w w . g n u . o r g / s o f t w a r e / s c r e e n / m a n u a l / s c r e e n . h t m l

Hope this one will helps much than the previous links.

The problem is that I invoke it, it opens then it immediately exits and only says "[screen is terminating]". I have no idea why, as the hardware is up and the /dev/ttyUSB0 is valid. I'm trying to solve the problem, but if I could find the reason for the exit, it may prove to resolve the problem. I've used this for many months with no problem until I went to the 64 bit version of the AMD processor (mines Intel, which should be compatible).

Thanks, I will check out the link....

As a sub problem, since I've moved to this version, I'll be typing into something like this program and all of a sudden every character I type is the character + space, so everything is like your 'past' with spaces in between characters. I have no idea what causes it, but it is very annoying. I've found that I can shut down the browser and restart it, then my typing is back to normal, but it will happen again. I don't even know how to report this 'bug' or the screen bug. I'm sure that's what it is and the screen states that it was last compiled in 2009.

Jack

Just Joined!
    Hi

Have you checked in the logs for more informations ?

Actually, reading the man pages didn't remember seeing any logs made or where they live..

I will see if I can find them tomorrow

Jack

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilborn View Post
    ... until I went to the 64 bit version of the AMD processor (mines Intel, which should be compatible).
    actually, the website that follows specify at least 2 packages, 1 for intel, and one for amd

h t t p : / / p a c k a g e s . d e b i a n . o r g / s e a r c h ?l a n g = e n & s u i t e = w h e e z y & s e a r c h o n = n a m e s & k e y w o r d s = s c r e e n

so, if there's packages for differents architecture, this (probably) means that you're trying to use a package that doesn't work with your current architecture, so, in case of a crash, you'll find informations about the crash in the system log :

dmesg | more

as root might be helpful

Well, I used aptitude and it won't let you install a package for a 'wrong' architecture. So I don't think that's it. I did some cursory probing and found that when I did a 'cat /dev/ttyUSB0' I got data back. So it's working on the old 32 bit OS. Still not sure what to do with the 64 bit machine...

Jack

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast