Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Hi, I installed VirtualBox (newest release) and created a Fedora VM, and everything worked great. I had it working for over a week. Today I tried to run the VM, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Co.Mayo, Ireland
    Posts
    33

    Question VirtualBox not working on Fedora 18


    Hi,

    I installed VirtualBox (newest release) and created a Fedora VM, and everything worked great. I had it working for over a week.

    Today I tried to run the VM, and it suddenly stopped working. I get two error dialog boxes:

    First one:

    Failed to open a session for the virtual machine fedora18.

    The virtual machine 'fedora18' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1.


    Second one:

    Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908 )

    he VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is probably not loaded.

    If you installed or VirtualBox package recently you need to restart the computer for the driver to load.

    Alternatively, you may attempt to load the driver by issuing the following command with system administrator (root) privileges:

    'systemctl restart systemd-modules-load.service'


    I didn't install any new kernels, and always successfully shut down my VM.

    And this is the output of 'systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service' :

    systemd-modules-load.service - Load Kernel Modules
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service; static)
    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2013-07-24 12:48:57 IST; 1h 45min ago
    Docs: man:systemd-modules-load.service(8 )
    man:modules-load.d(5)
    Process: 1955 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-modules-load (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)


    Can anyone identify what the problem is?

    Thanks much appreciated

  2. #2
    Linux Guru Rubberman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Posts
    11,509
    It sounds like you updated the kernel and the driver needs to be reinstalled. Remove/reinstall vbox. Your virtual machine images will not be touched. I have to do this occasionally myself when updating kernels.

    You say you didn't update the kernel. Still, try the uninstall/reinstall process.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

  3. #3
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Co.Mayo, Ireland
    Posts
    33

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    It sounds like you updated the kernel and the driver needs to be reinstalled. Remove/reinstall vbox. Your virtual machine images will not be touched. I have to do this occasionally myself when updating kernels.
    Thanks for the reply. Because I did do a google search and suggestions were to uninstall/reinstall, which I tried, including a reboot, before actually reinstalling, but no luck.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    You say you didn't update the kernel. Still, try the uninstall/reinstall process.
    Well unless I did update any kernel drivers, it would of been well before I came across this error.

    On another note, my graphical terminal froze (done dozens of times before), I then went went on another login terminal and killed a gnome-session, which brought back my graphical terminal. This was exacly last night, which I now have this error.

    But I wouldn't think this was the reason surely?

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Linux Guru Rubberman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Posts
    11,509
    Well, I haven't run into this problem, although FC19 is pretty bleeding edge. I currently run RHEL 6.2 and later systems, and haven't encountered this problem. It may be that VBox has some subtle issue with the latest kernels as run with FC19. Report the problem to the Oracle/VBox web site and see what comes of that. Sorry, but that's about as good as I can give you, advice wise, right now...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

  5. #5
    Linux Engineer
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    886
    I think you should check to see if SELinux is causing an issue. Not sure that it would, but SELinux likes to break things without telling you. Make sure the virtual disks are still owned by the correct user and have the correct permissions.

    Check your system's bios and make sure your virtualization technology is enabled. I had a desktop revert to factory defaults one time after power loss, and I spent hours trying to figure out why KVM stopped working . I'm leaning towards this one because of the second error code you received.

  6. #6
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Co.Mayo, Ireland
    Posts
    33

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    I think you should check to see if SELinux is causing an issue. Not sure that it would, but SELinux likes to break things without telling you. Make sure the virtual disks are still owned by the correct user and have the correct permissions.

    Check your system's bios and make sure your virtualization technology is enabled. I had a desktop revert to factory defaults one time after power loss, and I spent hours trying to figure out why KVM stopped working . I'm leaning towards this one because of the second error code you received.
    Thanks for your reply.

    I checked all of those which are all good.

    What is the systemd-modules-load.service service? And what output should be displayed from the 'systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service' command? Its a static service which means it is enabled by default on Linux and cant be changed. But mine shows that it is failed, which does not look healthy. I tried reloading/restarting the service, but still shows failed as its status? Would you know anything about that?

    Thanks

  7. #7
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Co.Mayo, Ireland
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Well, I haven't run into this problem, although FC19 is pretty bleeding edge. I currently run RHEL 6.2 and later systems, and haven't encountered this problem. It may be that VBox has some subtle issue with the latest kernels as run with FC19. Report the problem to the Oracle/VBox web site and see what comes of that. Sorry, but that's about as good as I can give you, advice wise, right now...
    Thanks for your help. Yea I am having a few issues on Fedora altogether and its annoying.

    Although do you know anything about the 'systemd-modules-load.service' service? And what should be the output from the command 'systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service' ? Because mine shows its failed.

    Thanks again

  8. #8
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Posts
    3,190
    Yea I am having a few issues on Fedora altogether and its annoying.
    Why would it be annoying. By installing it, you are basically volunteering to be a beta tester for Red Hat. Fedora is one of the most popular Linux distributions and usually has the most up to date software which is probably one reason it is so popular.

    And what should be the output from the command 'systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service' ?
    It should be 'success'. I use VirtualBox a lot and have not run into any problem like this, I don't use Fedora so am not sure what the solution would be although the problem is obvious.

  9. #9
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Co.Mayo, Ireland
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Why would it be annoying. By installing it, you are basically volunteering to be a beta tester for Red Hat. Fedora is one of the most popular Linux distributions and usually has the most up to date software which is probably one reason it is so popular.
    No I like using Fedora, I am just referring that you can create errors easily on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    It should be 'success'. I use VirtualBox a lot and have not run into any problem like this, I don't use Fedora so am not sure what the solution would be although the problem is obvious.
    The problem is obvious? Well its not obvious to me, because I tried to restart/reload the service with systemctl, but the status still remains failed.

    Thanks for your reply

  10. #10
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Co.Mayo, Ireland
    Posts
    33
    Thanks for everyones help. I got it to finally work. I realized the VirtualBox package was not from the correct repository. Which I had to reinstall with that package.

    Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •