Find the answer to your Linux question:
I created a HelloWord.exe (application interface gtk 2.0) in Mono within my Lubuntu 13:04 I caught this one Release executable tried run it on a machine with Win XP .. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

error executing the compiled EXE edited Mono Inside Windows Environmen

I created a HelloWord.exe (application interface gtk 2.0) in Mono within my Lubuntu 13:04
    I caught this one Release executable tried run it on a machine with Win XP .. just curious, with. NET installed.

and returns an error like "Unable to start HelloWord.exe ..."

how do I create an application within my Lubuntu Mono that runs on both Windows Environments with. NET installed or Linux environments that have the Wine or Mono runtime installed?

I have to have installed on my Mono Winforms? makes if yes how?

help me , please

Quote Originally Posted by bpescarolli View Post
    I created a HelloWord.exe (application interface gtk 2.0) in Mono within my Lubuntu 13:04
    I caught this one Release executable tried run it on a machine with Win XP .. just curious, with. NET installed.

and returns an error like "Unable to start HelloWord.exe ..."

how do I create an application within my Lubuntu Mono that runs on both Windows Environments with. NET installed or Linux environments that have the Wine or Mono runtime installed?

I have to have installed on my Mono Winforms? makes if yes how?

help me , please
    Just because the toolkits are cross compatible, doesn't mean that the executable itself is. So yes, you can install GTK on both XP and *buntu, but an application that you compile in Linux will most likely be compiled as an ELF format, while an application compiled with Windows will most likely be compiled as a Win32 application (this is all cross-linking aside).

So basically what it comes down to, is just because you're making use of a toolkit (ie. GTK) that is cross platform, the application itself is not. So you compiled it and it runs on your Lubuntu box, so it's an ELF formatted binary executable. Windows has no idea what the hell to do with that. As far as Windows is concerned, it's corrupted. The same applies vice-versa if you had compiled it on Windows with the Visual Studio compiler.

.NET has no correlation with GTK, so having .NET won't do anything for you if your dependency is on GTK.

The lack of binary compatibility (ELF vs Win32) is the reason for the error message you're getting.

I don't know what mono is so I can't help you there, but the WINE compatibility layer runs Win32 executables. So if you compile it using the MS compiler (or cross compile the application to Win32) it will run natively on Windows and will run through WINE on Linux. It will not, however, run natively on Linux.

I don't know anything about WINE's support for toolkits, so I can't say one way or the other, but if you make an application (Win32 executable) which makes calls to the GTK library, it should work natively on Windows (Windows with the GTK library installed on it, of course) and through WINE (that would most likely be Ubuntu or something using ELF). I believe the calls into GTK should be fine.

Hope that helps.