Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Not exactly sure what your problem is. Is your machine having RAM issues? How much RAM do you have? Swap size? You should always endeaver to use most of your ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Not exactly sure what your problem is.

Is your machine having RAM issues?

How much RAM do you have? Swap size?

You should always endeaver to use most of your RAM, that is what it is for.

Just Joined!
    Yeah, I'm mostly going for lightweight to mean "slightly more lightweight than the standard LXDE".

My issue is that I want the programs that stay resident no matter what I'm doing to use as little RAM as possible. I have 3 GB of RAM and a 10 GB swap partition. I'm not hurting for memory, I just want to use efficient programs that have a few features I consider important.

I'll have a look at worker. It looks promising.

Why have 3GB of RAM and not use it?

This isn't a car, RAM efficiency isn't a concern. As long as no programs are hurting for RAM, I don't see the point.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I can fill the memory, though. For instance, when I am programming using codeblocks, have firefox AND chome open with many tabs, and am compiling. Or when I host a game of minecraft. I want the programs like the display manager and file manager to use very little RAM, to leave it available for such tasks.

What ever you want to do, but I believe you should look into what RAM is for.

Here are some quotes from another thread they may help you understand how RAM is used.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    It doesn't look like any single process is using much memory on its own. Linux does use the available RAM for caching, though - so if you have a process that wakes up and runs frequently, its binary might be held in a memory disk cache, or if you're reading and writing a lot to the disk, the updates will be buffered in memory rather than being written immediately to the hard disk.

The thing about cache memory is that it can be discarded easily if there is suddenly a big call on system memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    This sounds more like an Ubuntu knockoff. Might be able to get more help over there.

What is the sense of having RAM if you are not going to use it? Linux by nature will consume all your RAM as needed and usually doesn't release it unless another program requires it. RAM is the systems cache as it is far faster then disk and is used as needed. Stop watching the RAM and play the game. Should the system crash because of this then you have something to worry about.

Roxoff said it as simple as it can be put.
    If you are running out of RAM, then you just need more RAM to run all the programs at one time.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I guess it depends on how you want to use your resources. I consider it wasteful to use more resources than required to provide all the features I need and want. My main machine has 16GB RAM and a quad core i5 but I still constantly look for lighter-weight software that meets my requirements as I prefer to use my RAM for buffers and caches and even going so far as mounting /tmp in tmpfs. All of which makes things so much snappier.

[edit]Just built xfe from source. It has more features than worker, but apparently not tabs and only uses 5.5M according to smem [/edit]
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2