Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm trying to get my idle RAM usage down, and I've noticed some two things that seem just..wrong with some of the processes that exist just after I boot. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Less RAM intensive file managers and display managers

I'm trying to get my idle RAM usage down, and I've noticed some two things that seem just..wrong with some of the processes that exist just after I boot.

I use LXDE (with the icewm instead of openbox), and it pcmanfm, the file manager, takes 45 MB of RAM just idling. I can kill it, and open it again, and it still takes <40 MB. I tried some other file managers, and I found that ROX takes <10 MB, but it doesn't have tabs.

I also found that SLiM takes 15 MB of RAM. That's much less, and I don't absolutely need a DM, but I have to wonder how a program that does relatively little (it seems, anyway) can take so much RAM.

Does anyone have suggestions for file managers that are tabbed and take little RAM, or a DM that takes very little RAM? Or perhaps even a way to quit the DM after I log in, and restart it when I log out?

Does anyone have suggestions for file managers that are tabbed and take little RAM
    SpaceFM Homepage

XFE Homepage

as far as rox goes. I use it and instead of tabs. I just open 2 rox file manager windows and do what I need that way. I run Fluxbox and Icewm Window Managers though and no Rox Desktop or SpaceFM Desktop for Icons on my AntiX installs.

http://antix.freeforums.org/download/file.php?id=1264

http://antix.freeforums.org/download/file.php?id=1263

That is my IBM A22M with only 512MB of ram available. Ram usage is in Horizontal Conky. Screenys are Icewm Window Manager.

Below is my Amrel 512MB ram AntiX core install (still current with Debian Jessie)

LXDE.org Forum ? View topic - My AntiX LXDE Desktop

That install was just a self training exercise for me. I found LXDE a little bloated compared to Fluxbox and Icewm as far as ram usage. On Idle. My AntiX 64bit base iso install idles at under 68MB of ram. I did play with a KDE install once also.

antiX-forum - View topic - 64Bit Antix 12.5 KDE
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    as far as rox goes. I use it and instead of tabs. I just open 2 rox file manager windows and do what I need that way. I run Fluxbox and Icewm Window Managers though and no Rox Desktop or SpaceFM Desktop for Icons on my AntiX installs.
    Not having tabs is a deal breaker on file managers for me.

I have used fluxbox (I was running it underneath the LXDE before I switched to icewm), but there are a lot of things with fluxbox that can't be configured that I wanted to change. I'm much happier with icewm, and it only uses a tiny bit more RAM.

It does kind of boggle the mind how fluxbox uses one fifth the ram of LXpanel and is not only being a taskbar (as lxpanel is only doing), but also the window manager. I'll probably replace lxpanel eventually.

Just Joined!
    I've switched to spaceFM, which uses only 35 MB of ram with only one tab open. But it still bothers me, ROX uses less than 10 (although it has no tabs). It must be possible for a tabbed file manager to use around 20 MB of ram...

I was in a similar situation when I wanted to put my ancient Toshiba Libretto to good use (Pentium 100mhz, maxed out at 32megs of RAM).

For me, tabs was a deal-breaker...until I learned to accept not having tabs.

I went with IceWM, XFE, and no desktop environment. Just IceWM. To keep things lean and mean I deactivated all of the virtual consoles except one, and of course use startx from a console login instead of a graphical login manager.

Instead of xterm, I use aterm.

I did this all in Debian.

My RAM usage with IceWM, XFE, and aterm running is 16,572k (13,232k free).
    My RAM usage with IceWM and aterm is 15,035k...so XFE consumed 1,537k.
    My RAM usage with just the console login is 7,416k...so IceWM and aterm consumed 7,619k.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Just Joined!
    I guess I may have a problem of wanting to have my cake and eat it too. I may just have to accept that a tabbed file manager uses around 35-40 MB of RAM.

Linux User
    This is turning into an icewm thread! Awesome. But it's written in C++. Tough to hack, but I still love it.

dwm is super lightweight and written in C, but you do the gruntwork. A pure and amazing example of the linux methodology: do one thing, and do it well. It's my 2nd favorite wm. And it tiles, so it's good for those of you who have super-huge/multiple monitors and need to fill the space.

Tabbed filemanagers? I'm a midnight commander/xfe kind of guy. ALT LEFT and ALT RIGHT change workspaces, you can have a ton of them. Each workspace for a different purpose. ALT-this, ALT-that, everything is a double-bucky away.

But then I have 4:3 19" monitor and old eyes. I like separate workspaces and fullscreen on pretty much everything. And I don't like mice. I find it easier to remember double/triple/quad- buckies than to hunt and peck through a menu with the mouse. I hear it may ward off Alzheimers too. We'll see about that one.

As far as RAM usage goes, the browser you're using to visit this site is comsuming it all. Maybe that's the problem. I have that problem too.

Just Joined!
    Well, I'm not really worried about things like web browsers consuming RAM. And when I am (and I am, sometimes) I use lynx. And I do use workspaces quite a lot, but I like to have tabs as well.

My reasoning is that the programs like the filemanager and display manager are open no matter what I'm doing, so reducing their resource usage will improve available resources at all times. Fair enough I could get along without either of those things, but I'm hoping to find a setup that is both nicely featured (for what I want) and extremely lightweight (ideally below 128 MB of used RAM at idle, I've got it down to 180 MB so far).

Wow, you're definition of "extremely lightweight" is way different from mine! Since my Libretto only has 32 MB or RAM, I would obviously not be satisfied with "only" 128 MB or RAM at idle. I have it down to 15 MB of RAM at idle (with IceWM, XFE, and aterm running).
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Worker is a lightweight two pane tabbed file manager that as far as I can tell uses about 5M RAM when idling. That figure is based on the PSS size as reported by smem.

What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast