Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm looking for a file manager and a text editor written with gtk. The text editor needs to have syntax highlighting. I don't need lots of features. Anyone know of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Looking for some gtk apps

I'm looking for a file manager and a text editor written with gtk. The text editor needs to have syntax highlighting. I don't need lots of features. Anyone know of anything like these?

Linux Engineer
    Linux For Ever!

Linux Enthusiast
    nautilus is part of Gnome, so it's GTK, and I think the rox filemanager is GTK...
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormblazer
    nautilus is part of Gnome, so it's GTK,
    But I wouldn't call it pure GTK, there are just to many additional libraries.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormblazer
    and I think the rox filemanager is GTK...
    True, pure GTK and it's very usable if you like the point&click interface. If you're looking for something like Windows Commander, the best IMHO is Krusader, which unfortunatelly is written for KDE and not GTK. Anyhow check out tux commander.

Regards...
    "I don't know what I'm running from
    And I don't know where I'm running to
    There's something deep and strange inside of me I see"

Linux Engineer
    I ended up using ScinTE for the editor, and Nautilus for file manager. I tried rox, tux commander, linux commander, ffm, and like 10 other ones, and none of them are what I'm looking for. Nautilus is pretty close though, though Gnome's and KDE's bloatness is what I was hoping to avoid. Reason I wanted gtk is because the rest of my desktop is GTK, so it will blend in better than Qt, plus Qt is slower than GTK. Feels wierd when Nautilus takes 25 mb ram, and Oroborus only takes 1.5 mb though. I'll be updating Gnome from 2.2 to 2.6 soon though, and I'll add some more optimizations when compiling, so maybe that will help with the few Gnome apps I use.