Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been running Elementary OS Luna on my HP nc6400 for about a week without any problems but on a recent nc6400 that I picked up and that my wife ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Firefox locking up.

I've been running Elementary OS Luna on my HP nc6400 for about a week without any problems but on a recent nc6400 that I picked up and that my wife is using Firefox locked up 3 times tonight. Each time I did a hard reset and shut down the laptop then started it back up. Firefox came back up and I closed out 3 open windows(not tabs mind you but windows) of the Firefox browser. My wife swears that she didn't open up more then one window. I'm running NoScript and Self Destructing Cookies on all of my Firefox browsers and they're all the latest versions.
    So, why would it lock up on one laptop but not on another identical model?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    One may have a fault. Get the diagnostic software for these systems from HP and run it, overnight at least.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I just said the heck with it and I've installed Ubuntu 12.04LTS onto it. We'll see if it locks up now. If not then we know it was a software glitch, if it still does then I'll download the HP software and run it to see if something is wrong with the hardware.

Well, it looks like it was Elementary OS Luna on my wife's nc6400 that was making Firefox lock up. Not sure how or why, seems to run ok on my nc6400. I installed Ubuntu 12.04LTS onto her laptop and it ran perfect, Firefox didn't lock up at all. I think I might even go with a different "flavor" of Linux, probably Point Linux MATE. Anyway, glad to see I was able to get it fixed.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Did you try disabling any extensions for Firefox? I would also be running a memtest on the machine which is often an option on the Grub menu.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Nope, didn't disable anything in Firefox. Only installed Ubuntu 12.04LTS onto her nc6400 and it ran perfect last night. Problem solved. Has to be a glitch in Elementary OS Luna that makes it not play well with Firefox, that's probably why they ship it with Midori as a browser instead of Firefox but I can't make heads or tails out of Midori, I'm a Firefox kind of guy so that's what I run.

Just Joined!
    Any more suggestion regarding disabling any extensions for Firefox? I need some more brainstorming. Any advice regarding it will be welcome.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Might be worth having a look under about:plugins and making sure that dom.ipc.plugins.enabled is set to true as this will stop misbehaving plugins (and I'm looking at you Flash) crashing or locking the browser.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

I've installed Linux Mint 15 MATE on the offending laptop and it seems to be running fine now. I do always run NoScript which kills Java and Flash plugins so they can't mess with stuff unless I let them run. Not sure what the problem was, if it was Elementary OS Luna or Ubuntu 12.04LTS that wasn't playing well with Firefox or what. Mint seems to be doing ok for now though.