Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all. I have a bootable usb stick with Clonezilla live on it. Now, I have been looking for a way of getting Clonezilla to create an image of (say) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Clonezilla question

Hi all.

I have a bootable usb stick with Clonezilla live on it.

Now, I have been looking for a way of getting Clonezilla to create an image of (say) /dev/sda onto the usb stick in the same partition thet Clonezilla boots from. Subsequently, I want to restore the disk image from that same partition.

Clonezilla just doesn't seem to allow me to select the stick as the source or destination of an image. That is, it doesn't allow me to select the same partition as it is running from.

I have sticks that will boot Clonezilla and save/restore images from the same stick but only if the image resides on a different partition to the one Clonezilla is running on.

I can't think of a reason why it should behave like this and wonder if there is some option that I am unaware of that will allow me to do what I want.

Cheers - VP

Yes, I have done the same, saving the image on the same boot device only in a different partition. I don't know why you cant save in the same partition clonezilla, but to me it seems logical as a safety to avoid overwriting anything important on the boot partition.