Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! Ok, so I am looking for a way to serialize a document when printed. I work for a company that works on a "Work Order" system. Each "Work Order" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Serialized Printing Method?

Hello!

Ok, so I am looking for a way to serialize a document when printed. I work for a company that works on a "Work Order" system. Each "Work Order" has details for a specific job we are working on and each "Work order" has an individualized number that is then used for reference in other accounting software etc.

Currently we have them individually stamped, but that has been getting expensive so we would like to print our own.

Does anyone know of a method to have ONE general document and then print 100 copies, with the serial number starting at like 500 and then each one that prints has the number increased by 1?

It can be a group of software that is piped together or have a script created to run the document through several programs.

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by KroniK907 View Post
    Hello!

Ok, so I am looking for a way to serialize a document when printed. I work for a company that works on a "Work Order" system. Each "Work Order" has details for a specific job we are working on and each "Work order" has an individualized number that is then used for reference in other accounting software etc.

Currently we have them individually stamped, but that has been getting expensive so we would like to print our own.

Does anyone know of a method to have ONE general document and then print 100 copies, with the serial number starting at like 500 and then each one that prints has the number increased by 1?

It can be a group of software that is piped together or have a script created to run the document through several programs.

Thanks for the help!
    I may be mis-understanding (I'm having a little trouble following exactly what happens there) but why not just use a simple script (BASH, Perl, or Python would probably work best) and store the base number (500) plus an offset in a file? Then print through that script. So it can read the storage file, add the serial, increment, write the file back out, and print?

What system are you using to print?

Linux User
    What system are you using to print?
    Indeed. Is aligned text to an old pin feed printer with triplicate forms, or is it single copies on laserjet, etc?

It sounds like an fairly easy scriptable task, but the intricacies are very dependent on the particular implementation. Postscript files can be pretty easy to hack if you know what you're doing.

Create the initial workorder, then print it with a special script that increments the count each time it goes to the printer.