Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can any one please tell me that how can i open the .docx. pptx etc file on the ubuntu ? my friends send me these type of files which i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lightbulb viewing/opening Microsoft office files in ubuntu

Can any one please tell me that how can i open the .docx. pptx etc file on the ubuntu ? my friends send me these type of files which i am not able to open and can't do my work. I want to view them perfectly.I know one method by change their properties and open them in libreoffice. But that thing destroy the format and spoil the file. please suggest something better as i am new on ubuntu. thanks.

Linux Engineer
    There are certain settings you can change to make Libre/Open office look more like office.

Other than that, you could try google docs.

You'll have to use MS Office with something like Crossover/Wine, dual boot/virtual with Windows or live with LibreOffice conversion.

Office on Ubuntu Crossover

What exactly is your problem with opening MS Office Files in LibreOffice? They should open right up, just remember to save as proper MS Office extension (AFAIK you can set this to be automatic).

Just Joined!
    so, you are saying that i have to boot my PC with windows ? i dnt have any other solution ?

Linux Enthusiast
    If these document types were standards blessed, then the details would be there for any developer to use and implement. However, the producer of such formats do not publish the details of the format, rely on embedded code, and change the formats with nearly every release version.

Linux Enthusiast
    I can reboot my computer all day and never get to WINDOWS. You see that I by law have to contract (there is no city collection and residents must do the work and so on garbage day our roads take a beating upto 7 trucks for garbage and every other wee another 7 for recycling) to have garbage removed from my property on a weekly basis, and as such I do not pay to bring garbage on to my property. Hence I buy machines that never ever have a copy of Windows on them.If the writer is concerned about format, they would save it in PDF format.

Quote Originally Posted by hellodear View Post
    so, you are saying that i have to boot my PC with windows ? i dnt have any other solution ?
    Where did I say that?

I supplied THREE options. LibreOffice, which works just fine with MS Office files on my Ubuntu, Install Crossover or Wine and run MS Office on Ubuntu OR by dual boot/virtual run Windows and MS Office.

alf55, you are waaay out of line and are providing absolutely no help in this thread.

I thought this forum didn't allow trolls.

Linux Enthusiast
    I'm not a troll. If you can find a "standard" for a Microsoft Office document, I will delete my entry. Every thing I said is the truth. I have used OpenOffice since it was a German Company and switched to Libre Office when Oracle took over OpenOffice (and many other things when they bought Sun Micro Systems). I have no problems sharing from LibreOffice (or OpenOffice) can not say that is true when getting documents from Microsoft Office products. The only truly portable layout (when Microsoft, Apple, HP-UX, Solaris, IRIX, ..., and Linux) is a PDF file.

Quote Originally Posted by alf55 View Post
    I'm not a troll. If you can find a "standard" for a Microsoft Office document, I will delete my entry. Every thing I said is the truth. I have used OpenOffice since it was a German Company and switched to Libre Office when Oracle took over OpenOffice (and many other things when they bought Sun Micro Systems). I have no problems sharing from LibreOffice (or OpenOffice) can not say that is true when getting documents from Microsoft Office products. The only truly portable layout (when Microsoft, Apple, HP-UX, Solaris, IRIX, ..., and Linux) is a PDF file.
    And yet again, what does ANY of that have to do with the ORIGINAL QUESTION?

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.
    Apparently, you have now confused and ran off the OP.