Find the answer to your Linux question:
I cant get btjsync to work. I do as the instructions say: Log into ssh and root user: input ./btsync but the system kills the application right away. I get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help to get an application up and running

I cant get btjsync to work. I do as the instructions say:
    Log into ssh and root user: input ./btsync but the system kills the application right away. I get the message Killed. I cant find anything in the var//volatile/log logfiles that describes what is the problem. Any suggestions what to do?

The unit is a ARM based seagate central NAS with some custom linux system; Monta vista linux 6. I choose the package for arm linux on the btsync website.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Did you download a binary of the application, or did you build it for your specific machine? IE, it may not be for your Linux version running on the device, or it needs libraries that are not compatible with the ones installed on your device.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Did you download a binary of the application, or did you build it for your specific machine? IE, it may not be for your Linux version running on the device, or it needs libraries that are not compatible with the ones installed on your device.
    I know. I have been trying to find anything about the problem in a logfile, but none of the logfiles tells me anything. I downloaded the binary marked linux ARM and there is no packages for spesific builds or so on. I cant find the sourcecode eiter.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    BTW, do you mean btsync (BitTorrent Sync)? I can't find any references in Google to btjsync.

FWIW while btsync is free, it is NOT open source - I also have not been able to find any source code for this tool, so I think you are out of luck in getting it to work on your ARM box, at least for the OS you are running.

Just Joined!
    Guess you found btsync/bittorrent sync. I had a error in my writing. Somehow I feel the system kills my package as a security (prevent hacking etc by killing foregin apps) If the package was not fit for my system I think I should get error instead of Killed. Atleast that is what happened when I tried the other packages on the same device(PPC), just for the try. I installed btsync on another nas and got it to work no problems whatsoever. This NAS runs debian ppc. and the package I dowonloaded for tha tis just named linux ppc so I guess it should work on any distro? Anyway I think this monta vista linux on the seagate is too commercializes etc so it may not work anyway. Thank you for the help anyway.

Binary images will NOT run on just any distro one for Linux PPC is for the Power PC IBM chip, NOT and ARM device. And no, it should not just give an error - the system HAS to kill it since it is not a bunch of compatible code! It would be like trying to charge a 9volt DC battery from a 220volt AC.main. It won't just not charge, it would explode!

Just Joined!
    So why does the download site never mention any distro then? I tried the powerpc binary on the arm device cause I wanted to see wich error message was posted, I got syntax error and not killed. Anyway I was trying to find a logfile that prints some debug information that might help me.

You might want to look in /var/log/messages, or run dmesg to see. It may not matter the distro, but it WILL matter the architecture, and the ppc is VERY different from the ARM instruction set.