Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello guys, Let me give a background on what I am trying to accomplish. One of my friends lives in China and he's trying to install some programs on a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Creating Custom ISO

Hello guys,

Let me give a background on what I am trying to accomplish. One of my friends lives in China and he's trying to install some programs on a Linux server. The problem with that, is that China blocks some of the sites that he needs to download the dependencies necessary for him to install his program, and his VPN connection is not greatest, so he's also not able to install what he needs over a VPN connection.

Long story short, he asked if I could run an Ubuntu server and install/configure all the programs that he needs and then just make an ISO out of that so that he can download it and just install on his server there in China and have everything up and running.

Now, I was thinking that in order for me to accomplish that I can either use dd or mkisofs to clone the disk into an ISO, but that problem that I'm seeing so far with that, is that he won't be able to boot from that ISO since we do not share the same type or hardware.

So my question is: Is there any way that I can create a custom ISO or clone the OS and make it so that he can install from that ISO on a different type of hardware?

Thanks in advance!

Linux Enthusiast
    A simpler approach would be build an ISO with the desired packages and let them download that iso and install the packages from it.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by alf55 View Post
    A simpler approach would be build an ISO with the desired packages and let them download that iso and install the packages from it.
    Thanks for the reply alf55. That is a very good idea indeed. I did a google search and a few ways to do that would be to chroot to the ISO image and install whatever you need while chrooted. So I'm gonna give that a try. With that said, if you know of any good methods of doing that or instructions for this kind of stuff, please let me know.

Linux Enthusiast
    The ISO image would be like a USB stick. Just mount it, and install packages from it. No need for a chroot.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by alf55 View Post
    Hi. If you use debian based linux, then filename of all the packages files end with .deb. For redhat, it's .rpm (for Redhat Package Manager). Knowing this, you may want to copy all of those you plan to use under the same folder. Once done,

Code:
    # generate an isoimage named packages.iso to burn a called cd label
    # that includes compatibility for joliet and iso9660 fs. For the cd to
    # be bootable, you have to replace /path/to/boot/images/ by the correct
    # location/filename of your bootable image.
    genisoimage -V label -joliet-long -iso-level 4 -G /path/to/boot/images/ -v ~/packages/* -o packages.iso
    # once done, write the thing on a cd/dvd. I suggest you to first write it on
    # a cd-rw (in case of) to check that everything is okay and respond to
    # what you wanted.
    wodim speed=2 dev=/dev/YOUR_DEVICE_HERE -tao -toc -fix singlesession packages.iso
    Hope it is what you have asked for. For more information, take a look at wodim and genisoimage man pages.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply guys. My end goal here is to basically install ubuntu on a server, and then install and configure all the the programs my friend needs. Once that's done, make an ISO out of that so that my friend can just boot from that ISO and he's ready to go. However, as I've been looking around, this appears to be more complex than I had initially thought. The chroot solution I've mentioned earlier, only works on a live CD perspective, meaning, my friend will only see those programs installed while running the Live CD. If I wish that those programs remains there when he installs the OS, I would need to create install scripts for the ISO that will give the instructions to install the programs, pretty much this is almost as me making my own distro (which is not what I want lol). At this point, I think my best option will possibly to just build a .deb package and see if my friend can install his programs from it.

Linux Guru
    My end goal here is to basically install ubuntu on a server, and then install and configure all the the programs my friend needs. Once that's done, make an ISO out of that so that my friend can just boot from that ISO and he's ready to go.
    Remastersys does exactly that and was designed for Ubuntu. I've only ever used it on a standard Desktop installation. It creates the iso for you. This software was developed and written by one person for years so he occasionally stops. I used it on Ubuntu 11.10 and 12.04. I would just google it and how to install it on a running Ubuntu or derivative to make sure you get the correct most up-to-date releaste.

Another program you should be able to use would be grub-mkrescue which creates an iso file you an burn from a running installed Ubuntu on another system on a different partition. Ubuntu forums will have details. Post back if you have more questions.

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the reply yancek! Remastersys def looks promising, I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.