Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am now trying to create my own forum and have followed some tutorials regarding setting this up but now have some error messages and have no idea what ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with server/forum building

Hi, I am now trying to create my own forum and have followed some tutorials regarding setting this up but now have some error messages and have no idea what to do now. The error messages I am experiencing are as follows:

#1045 Cannot log in to the MySQL server

Connection for controluser as defined in your configuration failed.

"sudo mysql
    ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'at'localhost' (using password: NO)"

The first two messages I get upon trying to log on to myphpadmin. And the third message is of course what I'm getting via the terminal.

I think I have may have made a mistake somewhere but not sure where and so I'm wondering about starting over again.

If any of you could help me with this I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    You don't typically need to run sudo to use mysql from the command line. If you have set a password, you do need to use the -p switch.
    mysql -p

That will try to log you in as root@localhost. If you have setup a different username and password combo, you should adjust the -u switch ie:
    mysql -u myuser -p
    Sounds like you didn't setup your password correctly if phpMyadmin isn't able to connect.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    You don't typically need to run sudo to use mysql from the command line. If you have set a password, you do need to use the -p switch.
    mysql -p

That will try to log you in as root@localhost. If you have setup a different username and password combo, you should adjust the -u switch ie:
    mysql -u myuser -p
    Sounds like you didn't setup your password correctly if phpMyadmin isn't able to connect.
    Okay, tried that but once prompted for password it seems I cannot remember the password as I then get the following error message: "ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'myuser'@'localhost' (using password: YES)"

Linux Engineer
    Okay, you are aware that 'myuser' is a hypothetical user you may have created (or may not have created), right?

Here's how to reset the root password if you forgot it: Resetting a forgotten MySQL root password

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    Okay, you are aware that 'myuser' is a hypothetical user you may have created (or may not have created), right?
    Okay, well I had problems with that too and so now have decided to start over but now experiencing these errors when trying to remove stuff:

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

Linux Engineer
    That error means something else is currently using the package management system. You cannot issue package management commands from the CLI if you have the GUI software manager open and vice versa. If all else fails, reboot your machine.

I recommend just resetting your MySQL password per the instructions I linked to. You need to completely remove the MySQL files from your system, otherwise a reinstall won't fix your problem anyway.