Find the answer to your Linux question:
I downloaded Firefox and extracted it to my home folder. I can click the "firefox" icon in the Firefox folder and it'll open but I can't "install" it so that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Firefox under Debian 7.

I downloaded Firefox and extracted it to my home folder. I can click the "firefox" icon in the Firefox folder and it'll open but I can't "install" it so that I can place it into my dock for easy access. I really don't like Iceweasel and would like to put Firefox in it's place. How can I get it installed so it's an actual Application and not just an app that I open from my home folder. Thanks.

Linux Guru
    If you click the firefox icon does it open and enable you to browse the internet? If not what happens? Do you just want an icon in your dock as in a link to the firefox executable? or something else?

If I go into my Home folder and then into the Firefox folder and click the icon it'll open Firefox but I have no app in my applications section under Gnome 3 and would like one there so I can add it to the dock for easy access. It's like I have Firefox but I don't.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Still trying to figure out how to "install" Firefox in Debian 7 instead of just have a folder of it in my home folder. Anyone?

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    Still trying to figure out how to "install" Firefox in Debian 7 instead of just have a folder of it in my home folder. Anyone?
    The particular package you downloaded is not for installation because it is a prebuilt binary. You can leave it in your home directory (as it is now) or move it to a global location e.g. /opt and then create a short cut on your dock with the path of the binary being /opt/firefox/firefox.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by daark.child View Post
    The particular package you downloaded is not for installation because it is a prebuilt binary. You can leave it in your home directory (as it is now) or move it to a global location e.g. /opt and then create a short cut on your dock with the path of the binary being /opt/firefox/firefox.
    That is how I run Firefox in my Fluxbox Desktop on my M/C shoip AntiX 11 Desktop along with Seamonkey (Debians support of Iceape was abysmal previously).
    All you need to figure out is Making a manul launcher in docky like I did in right click Applications>Internet>Firefox in Fluxbox.

docky - How to make/use launcher? - Ask Ubuntu

The exec instead of saying firefox should say /home/tnfrank/firefox/firefox if my guess is right. Icon should be easy to figure out after previous pointer by me.

Just gave up on Debian 7 pure and installed Point Linux. That way I still have Debian 7 but with a MATE desktop instead of that Gnome 3 junk and I also have Firefox by default so no hoops to jump through. Thanks for the info though, I appreciate it.