Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

yum update not working properly.

Hi everyone,

I've got a problem with yum. I've tried "yum clean all", "yum clean this", "yum clean that", and it's not helped, and I want to know if there's anything else I can try.

yum doesn't accept the command "yum update", and responds that there are no packages to install. There are of course, and "yum update packagename" or "yum groupupdate 'groupname'" work just fine.

I know it worked at some point in the past, since I remember thinking that's going to take too long to do. I'll do it in stages/later/etc. but just not at the time!

As I recollect, for example, "yum update a*" worked fine in the past to update all packages beginning with the letter a. Now this seems to want to update those (obviously nonexistent) packages that match file or directory names in the current directory.

I couldn't find anything much about this on the net, so thought I'd see if anyone here might have a clue. Thanks for any help.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Are you running as either root or sudo? Yum cannot be run by non-root users.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Yes. It would not upgrade anything were I not running as root. I think it tells you in no uncertain terms where to stick it if you do try running it as a normal user .

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I had to ask!

Are you running behind a corporate firewall? I know that causes issues with my yum updates on some of my work VMs. In such cases, I have to detach from the physical network, and connect to an open WiFi access point in order to get directly to things like the CentOS and other repositories.

This is just a Fedora 19 Distro (I should have said) running at home, behind no firewall whatsoever. It updates packages (or installs them) if you know what they are. It's not a network issue per se I don't think. It's a glitch with yum itself. If I say "yum update firefox" it will work just fine. It's just if I say "yum update" it tells me no packages need updating. Similarly I can't use "yum update yum*" to update any package beginning with the word yum. Surely a network fail would mean all upgrades (or installs) wouldn't work?

Yes, but I had to ask. So, if you try to update a single package, it works, but trying to do a general update (all) doesnt? It sounds like something is messed up with either your yum configuration files, or your yum repos.

Well, the repos I think are fine. When I "yum clear all" I reload all the repo data when I next use yum I believe. As for the config files, that sounds more plausible, although again why doesn't "yum clear all" delete them in that case? If not is there something /etc I can remove manually? That would certainly be worth a punt. And thank you for taking the time to try to help, it's appreciated.