Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone. I'm writing a business plan for an online travel agency. In the beginning phase most of the booking will be done via an xml based API, so I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Has anyone ever tried to use Amadeus GDS on Linux?

Hi everyone. I'm writing a business plan for an online travel agency. In the beginning phase most of the booking
    will be done via an xml based API, so I won't need Amadeus for a couple years. However if all goes well, I would like
    to have my own IATA number and issue tickets using one of the 4 GDS systems. I am familiar with Amadeus. I read an article
    that Amadeus runs on linux, however they stupidly still require Internet Explorer to access their selling platform, and the login
    is web based. I HATE internet explorer, but I'm afraid Amadeus is the best GDS IMO. Amadeus will work with IE version 1.55 or later.
    I have used wine and installed IE 6,7 and 8, just to try it out. When I go to the login page, the part that usually says you can't log in (if you use
    chrome or firefox) opens the login prompt. Now I don't have my own account and I can't bring my linux machine to work to try it. I'm curious,
    has anyone successfully used Amadeus GDS using IE on wine while on their linux machine?

The plan with my developer is to make everything linux based because of security and the fact that we can save a ton of money. Really this is
    the only long term problem that I can imagine having to overcome if we use linux.

Trusted Penguin
    hello and welcome, kclymer!

Quote Originally Posted by kclymer View Post
    I'm curious, has anyone successfully used Amadeus GDS using IE on wine while on their linux machine?
    can you provide a link or instructions on how to access a website using Amadeus GDS, one that would properly emulate your needs?

Just Joined!
    Hey Atreyu. Sorry for the delay:

Here is the login: http://certificates.amadeusvista.com...adeusvista.com

I can't put the full address because I haven't put 15 or more posts

The problem is. Since I don't yet have an Amadeus log in, I can't test it all the way. I was hoping that there was
    someone who was a travel agent who uses linux and had dealt with this problem.
    Last edited by atreyu; 11-22-2013 at 10:22 PM. Reason: linkified link on behalf of OP

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by kclymer View Post
    I can't bring my linux machine to work to try it.
    How about using a Live Linux CD and booting a work PC with it? It will not touch the hard drive, unless you intentionally mount the drive - everything is run in RAM. Once booted into your Live Linux session, you can connect to the internet and download required packages that might be missing from the distro Live version, e.g.:

Code:
    yum install wine
    or

Code:
    sudo apt-get install wine
    Just a thought.

Just Joined!
    That's a good idea, but I'll have to be discreet. I have a feeling this would piss my boss off. In the meantime, it would be oool if someone who is a travel agent and uses linux would comment on this thread.