Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have a client that requires me to create a bootable cd/dvd that automatically clones the hard drive image located on the cd/dvd onto the local hard drive. I remember ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Clone Utility

I have a client that requires me to create a bootable cd/dvd that automatically clones the hard drive image located on the cd/dvd onto the local hard drive.

I remember using an old version of norton ghost to create a cd long time ago but since it was a very old version it did not work with SATA hard drives.

Even if we can set up a script that starts clonezilla and clones the img to an hd automatically.

I'm looking for someone to point me in the right direction.

Thank you,

Don

Checkout ClonZilla

Clonezilla - About

it basicly puts a frontend on dd.

Linux Newbie
    donald.

Clonezilla is great and a good tool to use.

I've provided this for some folks and there are a couple of things to take note of.

First is that you will not be able to store/restore an image from the same partition as Clonezilla resides on.

I provided a bootable Clonezilla on a usb stick. The stick was formatted as two separate partitions. One for Clonezilla and the other for the image.

The only snag encountered was that when my client wanted to copy an existing image onto the second partition using windows (it is a windows-only environment), they found that windows only recognised the first partition on the stick.

There are ways to get around this but the simple solution is to install the bootable Clonezilla on the second partition and do your imaging to the first.

gparted - partiion the stick
    unetbootin - create bootable Clonezilla from live CD

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    My problem is I need to make this as user friendly as possible since I will not be the one doing the clones as i wont be onsite.

Essential i'm looking for like an Acer/Dell recovery CD/DVD/USB. Which will clone the image located on the source to the internal drive automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by donaldfarkas View Post
    My problem is I need to make this as user friendly as possible since I will not be the one doing the clones as i wont be onsite.

Essential i'm looking for like an Acer/Dell recovery CD/DVD/USB. Which will clone the image located on the source to the internal drive automatically.
    then need to start learning to use the dd command which is what clonezilla is using under the hood.

Linux Newbie
    you mean ddrescue /dev/sdX /dev/sdY --force?

how can i invoke this automatically and hard drives in different computers might have different names.

Quote Originally Posted by donaldfarkas View Post

Recovery/Install disks usually are a combination of an basic disk image combined with install scripts. You want that for your systems you're going to have to create it yourself. dd is a unix tool to create images and its very powerful, but with power comes a learning curve so I suggest getting some old hard drives and experiment. After that then you're going to have to write scripts to automate the rest you want. If the systems are different you will have to either mod your scripts for each system or add intelligece to your scripts to figure out the drive to dd, that will be anther learning curve. There are other DevOp's tools that can track configurations and provision systems, but they have even bigger learning curves.

I think in long run using Clonezilla to create images then write up a set of instruction anyone can follow to rebuild a system is probably the simplist system.

Linux Newbie
    doc's got my vote on this.

Anything you do will involve a set of instructions. Clonezilla can be run fine 99% of the time using only the default options.

What you might want to look into is to create a bespoke Clonezilla that what you want to do automatically runs when it boots. Not trivial I suspect and they will at least have to choose between making an image and restore an image. I would invest in a comprehensive "Ho To" for your client.

Although I have used dd many times, I have had issues in trying to dd a boot disc. So far, touch wood, I have had zero problems imaging and restoring with Clonezilla. My only beef was that older versions would not restore an image to a disc that was smaller than the original. The most-recent versions enable that.

Linux Newbie
    I was able to find a version of clonezilla that has the option to create a restore cd / usb. http://clonezilla-sysresccd.hellug.gr/restore.html

Since the hard drive i was cloning had about 49GB's of data I used the USB option and it made a bootable USB stick which automatically clones to local drive.

This thread can be marked as Solved.
    Last edited by donaldfarkas; 11-25-2013 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Solved

Linux Newbie
    Brilliant! Well done that man!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast