Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I have just installed LXDE and got a problems. First error I got when I tried change a theme: "/openbox/lxde-rc.xml" not found when I start obconf. I could fix ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Angry lxappearance, obconf, openbox-lxde

Hi!
    I have just installed LXDE and got a problems.

First error I got when I tried change a theme:
    "/openbox/lxde-rc.xml" not found when I start obconf.
    I could fix it by adding "export XDG_CONFIG_HOME=$HOME"/.config" in an openbox-lxde file, now it looks like

Code:
    $ cat openbox-lxde 

#!/bin/sh
    export XDG_CONFIG_HOME=$HOME"/.config"
    ###  "XDG_CONFIG_HOME" does not exist from the begin and must be declared/added into the /usr/bin/openbox-lxde.
    exec openbox --config-file $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/openbox/lxde-rc.xml $@
    Secound issue is when I start "lxappearance" then everything hangs and I must go into an other tty console to kill it for being able to go back to LXDE and use it as normal.
    I could not find anything about this problem, I getting no errors, it just hangs and freezing everything, even music stops playing untill I kill "lxappearance". Very odd issue. Do you know how to debug problems like this?

I am using Arch Linux.
    Last edited by Andy_Crowd; 12-10-2013 at 05:35 PM.

I have tried to run "lxappearance" inside Razor-QT and it starts and working fine....
    Each time I click in WidgetMenu on a theme I getting errors
    Code:
    /usr/bin/lxappearance 

(lxappearance:10358): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(lxappearance:10358): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

But everyting else is working fine.

It working in Razor-QT and hang in LXDE. Now hope it will be easy to find conflicting applications in autostart..... I do not know how to find if it is about loaded/conflicating libs and not apps... to find conflicted libs is almost impossible for me..... my brain will crackdown on that problem.... and may explode

I started "openbox" and not openbox-session to avoid autostart and began to start LXDE mudules, one by one and start lxappearance after each of them, lxpanel and others...
    "lxappearance" hangs only after I started lxsession.
    lxappearance is conflicting only with lxsession... that's odd ...

Someone else has same problem or it's working good for you?

Is it a bug or an error that is possible to fix?
    Last edited by Andy_Crowd; 12-11-2013 at 01:16 PM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I have removed gtk and gtk3 and apps for them, Only GTK2 left and I tested
    gtk-chtheme
    gtk-theme-switch2
    gtk2_prefs

All of them were working perfectly except of the lxappearance that made freez everything as before
    It is "nice" to talk with myself .... Any help please???
    Last edited by Andy_Crowd; 12-11-2013 at 04:02 PM.

it sounds like you messed up your system trying to fix it.
    i think the fix you applied in post #1 could have had unforseen consequences (helped fix one thing, broke 9 others).

i am using plain openbox on a simple arch install, and all of the above mentioned apps work.

now the question: do you really need lxde? wouldn't it be easier to install openbox and other apps manually? lxde really doesn't have much of a session management. i never deemed it necessary, my desktop environment is openbox.

plain openbox uses these files, all in ~/.config/openbox:
    autostart
    rc.xml
    menu.xml

if it does not find them, or they're corrupt it tries to replace them with defaults somewhere in lib or xdg...

however if you use lxde, it starts openbox differently and uses these special "lxde-***" files. very annoying.
    there's been threads on lxde forums about this. i also recommend the openbox wiki and the arch wiki.

not all of your problems seem to be lxde- or even openbox-related.

the best way to install arch linux is to have a second machine with the archwiki open for instructions

I tested to use LXDE with fluxbox as a window manager and got same freez problem when I started lxappearance. I am still in test fase with desktop managers. I am using OpenBox with XFCE plugins/panel. But I have also WindowMaker.. and I comb the Internet (with many search engines / google could not find all so easy) for dock apps for WindowMaker... I have about 700 files with a most of their versions (while http://dockapps.windowmaker.org is offline I still can use them when I need)... I have'nt sort all of them yet... When I used Windows I also collected a lot of nice and realy small tools/widgets/apps and I have a lot of them (I have a win apps on a separate backup hddisk) ... small and old rare apps is my hobby (some of them is almost impossible to find on the Internet and good alternativies with about same size+compatibility+options+quality too)
    I tested XFCE desktop, FluxBox/BlackBox (terminal "terminator" has a shake bug in both of them on maximize/restore), OpenBox, IceWM, WindowMaker in Arch and still do, awesom and few more (in linux cinnamon before I switched to Debian, Fedora and then Arch on my PC).

I can use all Windows (except servers and duealboot win/lin yet) very well and I want to now at least so much about Linux (I love crashes and recovery after them ;P )... and desktops to help others (home users). I also trying to make my relatives to begin use Linux... I can live in console/dos/terminal with minimals but they need more GUI and I need to know about problems and how to help... but for now I still stuck on the errors sometimes that I need a help with. I will install LXDE soon on my friends-friend laptop instead of WindowsVista... LXDE has a nice looking enviroment (more easy to use after Windows, more similarities and is simple/minimal menu to use, especially when clicking on the desktop menu).
    On my mothers computer I will install XFCE... instead of Windows8, she want big buttons (and weather info) and no BIG time long updates as Windows has.

On my Laptop I have KDE, Linux Mint, Arch is on my PC, I probably will install Arch on my Mac too... but I do'nt want to do it yet...

I think I know very much about the BlackBox based windowmanagers now, I have used blackbox on my Windows for a few years too.
    I need to know more about GTK* based now and I stuck on Themes......

using different desktop environments on the same install is not good, will create chaos.
    but if you "love crashes and recovery", well, why not.

maybe do some reading:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...p_environments

Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    using different desktop environments on the same install is not good, will create chaos.
    but if you "love crashes and recovery", well, why not.

maybe do some reading:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...p_environments
    Thanks, I know about this page and I am often refering to it.

Angry lxappearance + lxsession = BUG

I did clean install of ArchLinux 3.12.5-1-ARCH and Only LXDE -->> Same problem = BUG

This problem is solved because nothing more I can do untill they will fix the bug!

The solution was to use startx /usr/bin/startlxde, it fails with startx /usr/lxsession because of missing eviroment viriables that startlxde script needs to check and create missing. It wasn't a bug.