Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chris_inx
Hello! I have a problem. Each time I install a vitual machine in VMware, some files get missed/ rmoved randomly. When I installed Suse Linux in VMware my Tilda terminal ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Angry Randomly removed files! Why?

Hello!

I have a problem. Each time I install a vitual machine in VMware, some files get missed/ rmoved randomly. When I installed Suse Linux in VMware my Tilda terminal lost file with settings and I got to reconfigure it from begin. Now I installed WindowMaker live cd in VMware and it made file "librtmp.so.0" disapear, Rainlendar2 needs it to work and I got to reinstall "rtmpdump". It might be more vanished files.. I know only about those my startup apps are using.

Is it something wrong with my harddriver or with the computer or I am doing something wrong?

I added my smart-log files generated by smartctl -x /dev/sda and smartctl -a /dev/sda from smartmontools package.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Andy_Crowd; 01-01-2014 at 10:23 PM. Reason: added smart-log files

Only thing that comes to mind is things aren't getting shutdown right. Are you shutting down your SuseLinux, before shutting down your VM. Sounds like Linux aren't getting closed right.

Linux Enthusiast
    Are the files on your system or the virtual disk that you created when creating the virtual machine (you are not clear on that point)?

Linux Guru
    WindowMaker live cd
    If you are booting from "live CD" ISO's...these are not persistent. All changes are lost between booting the live CD in most cases.

I am using Arch Linux and inside I have installed VMware. In the VMware I have created two virtual machines and installed Suse and WindowMaker from a live cd. WindowMaker has own destribution based on Debian stable. Sorry for a bad explanation about what I mean.
    I shutdown my computer by writing poweroff in a terminal. And before that I am closing the firefox and WMware. All apps that I use to have open before shutdown are Tilda, Rainlenadar2 (rainlendar2 syncing with my online callenders and I do not know if it saves something offline, it use to reconnect on each start up and a few times each hour), and Openbox with a custom XFCE plugins. It might be an explantion about Rainlendar2, but why Tilda lost the config file?
    Last edited by Andy_Crowd; 01-02-2014 at 10:56 AM.

Linux Enthusiast
    you need to do the "poweroff" inside your virtual machines to bring them down in a normal fashion. By closing "vmware" you are actually stopping the virtual achines as if you pulled the power cord out on real hardware!

Lightbulb Safe PowerOff / Shutdown / Closing windows

I found an easy way how to safely shutdown the computer.
    It is possible to use it in one line if someone loves to write or just copy and paste in bash shell.

Code:
    for win in $(wmctrl -l | awk '{print $1}'); do  wmctrl -i -c $win;  done; poweroff;
    Or make an alias for it:
    Code:
    alias poff='for win in $(wmctrl -l | awk "{print $1}"); do  wmctrl -i -c $win;  done; poweroff;'
    This script is used to close all active/opened windows in a safe way -> "for win in $(wmctrl -l | awk '{print $1}'); do wmctrl -i -c $win; done;"

NOTE!!! "wmctrl" is an external program and must be installed.

Here is the script which checks if "wmctrl" is installed and installs it if doesn't exist.

You can use only "the working part" in your script if you have "wmcrtl" alredy installed. "pacman" is the Arch Linux installer, same as e.g. "apt-get"/"dpkg" in ubuntu or "yum" in Fedora or any other of the command line package installers with their own check and install routines.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    ### checking part
            if [ $(pacman-Qqe wmctrl)"X" == "X" ] ; 
            then
    echo  wmctrl "does not exit and must be installed" ; 
    sudo pacman -S wmctrl --needed; 
    ###
            else
    ### working part 
            for win in $(wmctrl -l | awk '{print $1}');  do  
    wmctrl -i -c $win;  
            done; 
    poweroff;
    ###
            fi;
    P.S.
    The above is based on the information from this link.

An alternativ is to use shutdown(shutdown now) for a safe shutdown of the system.
    Last edited by Andy_Crowd; 01-12-2014 at 04:13 AM.

Just Joined!
    [QUOTE=Andy_Crowd;942661]
    alias poff='for win in $(wmctrl -l | awk "{print $1}"); do wmctrl -i -c $win; done; poweroff;'
    [/CODE]

That seems to be good, but only for one thing. If, for example, the do wmctrl -i -c $win; crashes, the shell will execute the next command, and will reach the poweroff. The use of command substitution (``) might be a better choice instead.
    Andy_Crowd likes this.