Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
... like Firefox? WITH Flash? If not Rpi, is there any other el cheapo computer which can, and which ships to India? Thanks....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Can Raspberry Pi or its ilk run a browser?

... like Firefox? WITH Flash?

If not Rpi, is there any other el cheapo computer which can, and which ships to India?

Thanks.

What you need for your little pi is Pidora which is Fedora 18 for the raspberry Pi. I can't vouch for flash on that platform - I tried to play a game on fog.com, but it was chronically slow to do anything. I use my pi as a test/development web server, so it's a capable platform - I just wouldn't like to rely on it for flash. HTML5 may be different, though...

update... its taken about half an hour to get to any flash content on Firefox on the Pi. Web browsing over an X session running over ssh from the Pi (two floors away) is -not- fun... As expected, there's no version of flash for the arm chip in a Linux environment. There are x86 flavoured computers that might do the job better if you just want flash games. A second hand Intel Atom computer might do it - that'd be quicker than a pi too.
    Last edited by Roxoff; 01-04-2014 at 08:19 PM.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

There are several pi-like devices that are almost all much more capable, and should ship to India. This is becoming a growing industry. They can run any Linux distro that has ARM kernel/packages, such as Debian. And any package available, including browsers. The pi is rather outdated and limited, and I would recommend a newer device with a faster processor and more RAM. The Solidrun cubox-i looks very interesting, and there are a number of others with comparable specs.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    and there are a number of others with comparable specs.
    .....such as?

Looks like my answer got lost in cyberspace. The Beagle Bone, SolidRun Cubox-i, and many others are available. Through the miracle of the Google search engine, you can find almost all of them at your convenience. They use ARM processors, and Debian should run well enough on all of them, with perhaps some modifications for specific hardware quirks. Google will be of help with this also.

Just Joined!
    i ran a browser on my PI.it work but slow.

Linux Newbie
    did you install FLash on it? is it possible? will it play Youtube vids without skipping?

Quote Originally Posted by resetreset View Post
    did you install FLash on it? is it possible? will it play Youtube vids without skipping?
    Probably not flash. Mine plays Youtube stuff at 1080p without hiccup using a Pi and the XBMC platform for it - provided I can feed it with enough bandwidth over my internet connection (it used to stutter a little until my internet connection was recently upgraded). I don't watch videos on my Pidora installed Pi - it doesn't even have a monitor attached.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Linux Newbie
    Just to add, are there any games available for the Pi? Not only Tetris and Pacman type stuff, but 3D games, Doom and Quake clones.....?

Linux Newbie
    Also, does the Pi have a TV output? i.e. an RF cable? (I think that's what it's called).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast