Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was wondering if anyone knew of a program that would allow bit for bit cd copying. IE, to get around copy protection. I am running Redhat 8.0 at this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

CD Copying

I was wondering if anyone knew of a program that would allow bit for bit cd copying. IE, to get around copy protection. I am running Redhat 8.0 at this time. Any help would be appreciated.

Linux User
    bit for bit copying is the same as making an ISO or burning CD to CD, when you coyp a CD you COPY it, you don't just copy that parts you feel like. You are most likley trying to get around the sort of encryption they use on DVD and some of the newer CD's - they take the CD's unique serial number and encode it with an algorithim such that only that particular CD's serial number will be read as correct, in those cases you would have to break the algorithim and change the correct files to encode for the new serial (and yes, its about as much of a pain in the a*s as it sounds)
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Guru
    As far as I know, many proprietary CDs have damaged sectors to prevent reading of files that one shouldn't read. If that's what you refer to, I guess I don't know a good program for linux to do this.

Linux User
    damaged to prevent parts being read? I have not heard of that, how does the cd work when it is supposed to then? (the original CD if it has damaged sectors)
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Guru
    The original game (or whatever) simply doesn't read those sectors, if not to test that they actually are damaged. They're just there to disturb burning programs that read the entire CD. Sometimes they just damage well chosen parts of files and don't read there. Another trick (but I don't think it's widely used anymore) is to make a never-ending file. I guess the ISO fs uses some FAT-like block chain. I did encounter that on a CD a year or two ago.
    I guess one could use dd to make a copy from the device file, if you just hack it a little to insert a zeroed block when at fails to read one, instead of exiting.

Linux Newbie
    Instead of hacking dd, use an already-hacked dd, namely dd_rescue, which was meant to be used for recovering partitions on damaged disks.
    See:http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/
    ---sxeraverx---
    Linux without a C Compiler is like eating Spaghetti with your mouth sewn shut. It just doesn't make sense.

Isn't there a clonecd switch to cdrecord? K3B certainly has this option in the GUI. If your drive supports it, it should work , like any CD cloning tool. Really only works if you own a Plextor or something.

Linux Engineer
    So guys, what you're basically saying is that K3b can't match CloneCD or Alcohol 120% when it comes to copy copy-protected cd's, am I right? I was gonna make a backup from my Stronghold 2 discs (yes, this is completely legal, in Belgium at least). So do I have to resort to Windows for this? Or will the dd_rescue be able to help me out?

[edit]
    Anyone?
    [/edit]
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    why dont you just simply install them on wine? not sure if they work but allways worth a try