Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
I'm running Point Linux 2.2 which is based on Debian Stable and need to find an SDR(Software Defined Radio) download that'll work with Debian. I plan on doing a web ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

SDR for Debian Stable?

I'm running Point Linux 2.2 which is based on Debian Stable and need to find an SDR(Software Defined Radio) download that'll work with Debian. I plan on doing a web search but just wanted to toss it out here to see if anyone has already found something. Thanks.

Ok, I looked up "SDR" in Synaptic and found Quisk. Installed it, see it in Applications/Accessories but when I click on it, nothing. So, I looked up some more SDR/Debian stuff and found librtlsdr-dev_0.5.2.7.3ab6-1_i386.deb and installed it but it's not showing up anywhere even after a restart.

Up Date.
    Ok, so I just installed GNU Radio from Synaptic so we'll see how that goes. Can't wait to get this up and running, should be fun.
    Last edited by TNFrank; 01-29-2014 at 08:49 PM.

Are you a Snubs fan??? The latest Hak5 video is about SDR, it does sound like something fun to play with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjYf...em-uploademail

Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    Are you a Snubs fan??? The latest Hak5 video is about SDR, it does sound like something fun to play with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjYf...em-uploademail
    Yep, that's where I got the idea from, Hak5. Looks like it'd be a lot of fun checking out the RF band on my computer, who knows what you'll find.

My radio just showed up how'd that GNU Radio work out, any other SDR software you recommend?

The "Stupid Simple" way of doing it(i.e. the way I did it, LOL) was to just install Kali Linux 1.0.6. It has a lot of pre-installed SDR stuff right out of the box. I got my dongle working with Gqrx on the first try. Still trying to get ADSB going so I can track aircraft but it's there, I just don't know how to use it.
    Also, I know most of us normally install our Linux from a Live USB that we make with UNetbootin or similar but for some strange reason Kali seems to work better if you burn the .iso to a DVD for install, not sure why that is but it did work out better.
    I've pulled in not only my local FM radio but what I think are aircraft talking in the 123MHz range, CB in the 27MHz range and the NOAA Weather radio station locally on 162.393.000.
    I can't wait to get the aircraft tracking stuff going. Anyway, hope this will help you out and get your SDR up and running. Don't be afraid of Kali being a Penetration Testing Distro, it's really just pure Debian Stable at heart with what looks like a GNOME 3 Classic Mode DE. I installed gnome-tweak-tool and got my home folder and trash folder on the desktop, just like I like em'. Only drawback is that you have to use Iceweasel which is a rebranded version of Firefox 22 and not the latest Firefox 26 but other then that it's just Debian with GNOME 3 Classic and a ton of tools that I have no clue how to use, LOL.
    docbop likes this.

Thanks I've used BackTrack in the past and have a copy of Kali I can throw on a old laptop. Snubs did another video this time using software that track airplanes, this seems like it will be cool to scan the frequencies and hear what's out there.

Thanks.

1.0.6 is suppose to be the version of Kali with all the cool SDR stuff although from what I've seen it IS missing some stuff that works with ads-b for aircraft tracking. We have an SDR section over on the Hak5 Forum if you want to join up and see what's going on. If it gets enough traffic then the Mods will keep it as it's own section. Anyway, talk to ya' later and happy listening.

I haven't been to the Hak5 forums for awhile looks like I need to check in.

Thanks.

Right now I'm trying to get dump1090 working so I can track aircraft with my SDR dongle. That'd be uber cool if I can get it installed and working.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast